Before becoming exhibition halls for art, the Deichtorhallen, built between 1911 and 1914, were used as a fruit, vegetable and flower market until 1984. Today, with a size of 5.600 sqm of exhibition space, the two Deichtorhallen are among the largest art spaces in Europe.
The northern Deichtorhalle is devoted to contemporary art. Prominent here is the art of painters, sculptors and designers. Regular exhibitions deal with culture and everyday themes, as well as historical cultural themes. In the Haus der Photographie one can find as a permanent loan the collection of famous fashion photographer F.C Gundlach. In addition, the photo archive of Spiegel magazine can be found in the Haus der Photographie. It is the largest accessible archive of journalistic research in Germany. The two collections are furthermore complemented by various photography exhibitions.
Tue to Sun 11.00 a.m. ─ 6.00 p.m.