You should register your new address within two weeks after moving into your new home. This can be done at your local customer service centre (Kundenzentrum). Booking the appointment is enough to meet the two-week deadline. After registration, you’ll receive a Meldebescheinigung (Proof of Residence) which you need in order to open a bank account, get German health insurance, apply for a residence permit, enrol into university and get a mobile phone number.
Getting an appointment
Book an appointment online (Termin vereinbaren) at any customer service centre (Kundenzentrum). Select either registration (Anmeldung) or moving within Hamburg (Ummeldung). Then, select one of the locations and choose a time slot. Here you can find a more detailed guide in English on how to book an appointment online.
What should you bring?
- registration form (filled out and signed)
- Landlord/-lady confirmation “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”
- Official photo identification (identification card or passport) for every registering person
- Administration fee: EUR 12
In addition, further documents must be submitted by:
- Married / Partnered couples: marriage certificate (original)
- Divorcees: divorce decree (original)
- Widowed persons: death certificate (original)
- Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT): the residence permit
Be sure to deregister your residence at the city authorities before moving away from Hamburg. For this, hand in a completed deregistration form as well as an official photo ID to one of the city office centres. An appointment isn't necessary.
More information about registration in Hamburg can be found in the Forms section.