Most citizens of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA, including Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are not required to transfer their driver’s licence, as generally their domestic driver’s licences are valid in Germany.
See here for detailed information on the equivalence of driver’s licence categories of different EU/EEA countries.
Nevertheless, transferring driver’s licences may be necessary for certain professional categories (in Germany: C and D), as they are valid in Germany only for a limited time. Please enquire upon arrival in Germany if this applies to you and when you are required to transfer your professional driver’s licence.
After the application, the process may take up to four weeks to complete. Fees can range from €36.60 to €79.00 depending on the category of the driver’s licence, and are determined during the application process.
Things to keep in mind for your application
Please note the following before starting the application process:
- This service is only available for people with a valid driver’s licence from an EU/EEA country.
- The person holding the driver’s licence must be a registered resident of Hamburg.
- This service is only available at the Bezirksämter Hamburg-Mitte and Hamburg-Nord.
- Applicants must make an appointment in person.
- Your foreign driver’s licence can only be transferred if you have lived as a registered resident in the country that issued it for at least six months before acquiring the driver’s licence.
- This means that if, for example, if you acquired the license while on holiday abroad, the license cannot be transferred into a full German driver’s licence. Valid proof is necessary.
Prepare before application
Applicants will need the following documents in order to apply:
- A personal ID card or passport stating your current place of residence
- Your valid foreign driver’s licence;
- in some cases, it may be necessary to bring an official translation or classification provided by a sworn translator; whether or not this necessary will be determined individually during the application process
- A biometric passport photograph 3.5 by 4.5 cm
- The confirmation of your appointment
For the transfer of professional driver’s licences (categories C and D), applicants also need the following documents:
- A certificate from an opthalmologist from within the last 24 months
- A general medical certificate from within the last twelve months (category D only) – Link to document
- A criminal record certificate from within the last three months issued by your local Einwohnermeldeamt (category D only)
- If applicable, proof of a professional driver’s qualification for goods and/or passenger transport
If the foreign driver’s licence has expired before entry to Germany, an additional clearance certificate of the holder of the licence issued by the responsible authority or the local drivers’ licences catalogue is necessary.
Making an appointment
Appointments should be booked via the LBV:
- Visit the LBV appointment booking website; under the headline Führerschein (driver’s licence), select Umschreibung ausländischer Führerschein (transfer of foreign driver’s licences)
- Select the location closest to you to view the available appointments
- Choose an available appointment from the calendar
- Enter your name and email address to finish the booking process
- You will receive an email confirming that you have successfully booked an appointment
Please remember to bring the booking confirmation to the appointment.