Register an apartment

If you move into a new apartment, you must register in person with the registration authority responsible for your new place of residence within two weeks of moving in. You can also register your new apartment online under certain conditions.

Important notes


  • You have moved into a new apartment in Germany.

For electronic residence registration:

  • You have moved to or in Hamburg.
  • You are of legal age.
  • You have a valid identity card or a valid eID card with activated online ID function and personal identification number (PIN).
  • You have an NFC-enabled smartphone or a USB card reader.
  • You have installed the AusweisApp on your smartphone.

Documents required

  • Completed registration form (except in the case of an automated registration form).
  • At least one proof of identity:
    • identity card
    • Provisional identity card
    • Replacement ID card
    • Recognized and valid passport
    • Recognized and valid passport replacement paper
  • When moving into a rental property: landlord confirmation or corresponding assignment feature.
  • When moving into residential property: notarized purchase contract or extract from the land register.
  • For supervised persons: written power of attorney or supervisor ID
  • If represented by another person: written power of attorney and identification documents of the person to be registered
  • When moving from abroad: last residential address in Germany (confirmation of registration, date of moving in and out)
  • For spouses, life partners and family members with the same immigration data: immigration date and previous and current residences.
  • The competent authority may request the submission of further documents that serve to prove the information (for example: marriage certificate, birth certificate).

Please note

  • If you are visiting Hamburg for more than 6 months from within Germany or 3 months from abroad, you must also register.
  • Registration of minors (up to the age of 16) without both legal guardians must always be clarified in advance by telephone with Hamburg Service. If a minor resident who has previously lived with both parents in a main residence is re-registered by one parent in a new main residence, the consent of the other parent, a written agreement by the parents on the child’s center of life or a family court decision on the transfer of the sole right to determine residence. The same applies if the sole or main residence of the underage resident is to be re-registered from the residence of one parent to the residence of the other parent.
  • From the age of 16 you can register without the consent of the legal guardians.
  • Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT) must also change the address on the residence permit.
  • If you own a car, the address on the registration certificate part I (formerly the vehicle registration document) must be changed at the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (see link).
  • A dog must also be registered (see link).
  • In the case of newborns, the data of the newborn child is automatically transmitted - when the birth is certified - from the registry office to the population register. A separate registration of newborns in the population register is not required.
  • It is not necessary to deregister in the previous municipality.


You must register your new place of residence within 2 weeks of moving into the new apartment.

Procedure & Fees


  • You appear in person at the registration authority responsible for you or are represented by a person with power of attorney.
  • You fill out the registration form and sign it (except in the case of an automated registration register).
  • You submit all required documents.
  • Finally, you will receive an official confirmation of registration from the registration authority.

For electronic residence registration:

  • You access the online service.
  • You log in to the online service with your user account.
  • You enter all required data online
  • You upload your landlord confirmation (tenant) and submit the form online.
  • Your entries will now be checked by the authorities.
  • After successful verification, you will receive your electronic registration confirmation.

Processing time

The processing time is usually 12 minutes.

Online: The processing time is about 5 minutes


  • 13 EUR per

    • adult person or

    • Person under 18 years of age auditioning alone.

  • 13 EUR per family (parents including minor children with the same arrival dates).

  • 13 EUR per married couple (without children with the same arrival dates).

Legal notes

Legal remedies

  • contradiction

  • legal challenge

  • obligation action

Legal basis

§ 17 paragraph 1 and 3 Federal Registration Act (BMG)

§ 21 paragraph 4 of the Federal Registration Act (BMG)

§ 23 Federal Registration Act (BMG)

§ 23a paragraph 2 and 3 Federal Registration Act (BMG)

§ 24 paragraph 1 of the Federal Registration Act (BMG)

Numbers 17.1, 17.3, 22 and 23.0 to 23.0.2 General administrative regulation for the implementation of the Federal Registration Act (BMGVwV)

§ 1 Hamburg Implementation Act for the Federal Registration Act (HmbAGBMG)

Service description

If you move into a new apartment, you must register with the registration authority responsible for your new place of residence within two weeks of moving in.

If you are under 16 years old, you must be registered by the person whose home you are moving into.

If you are over 18 years old and have a carer or guardian appointed for you who can determine your place of residence, your new residence must be registered by your carer or guardian.

You only have to register newborns born in the country if they move to a different residence than that of their parents or mother.

To register your new apartment, you must go to the registration office responsible for you in person or authorize another person to do so.

If you have moved, you can also register your new apartment online.

Choose one of 22 facilities ...

Enlarge map

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit