Housing benefit continuation

If the approval period specified in the notification of housing benefit comes to an end, you can submit a follow-up application for continued payment.

Important notes


The following are eligible to apply for a rental subsidy:

  • tenants of an apartment,
  • Residents of a cooperative or a monastery apartment,
  • residents of a home,
  • persons entitled to rent-like rights of use, in particular holders of a permanent right of residence similar to rent,
  • Owners of an apartment building (three or more apartments), a commercial building or a commercial enterprise if you live in this building,
  • Owners of a single or two-family house in which they live, but which also contains business premises to such an extent that it can no longer be regarded as a home,
  • Owners of a full-time agricultural position whose residential part is not separated from the economic part.

The following are eligible to apply for a subsidy:
  • Owners of their own home or condominium,
  • owners of a small settlement,
  • Owners of an agricultural part-time job,
  • Owners of a full-time agricultural position, if the residential and commercial parts are separate and a housing benefit calculation can be made for the residential part,
  • Owners of a property-like permanent right of residence
  • Those entitled to build leases and those who are entitled to the transfer of ownership of the building or apartment or to the transfer or granting of leasehold rights.
The owner of the living space must live in the living space and bear the burden for this.

Documents required

Proof of housing costs or the burden:

  • Lease agreement / lease change letter or certificate from the landlord or, in the case of residential property, purchase agreement and loan agreements & repayment plans with payment receipts
  • Water fee billing/initial classification of water deductions
Proof of household income:
  • Earnings slips/earnings certificate or pension notification, pension adjustment notification
  • Complete notice of unemployment benefit I, citizen benefit / unemployment benefit II, child allowance
  • Complete notification of BAföG, BAB
  • Notice of parental allowance
  • Income from maintenance, notification of maintenance advance
In individual cases, additional documents (e.g. additional income, proof of property, self-disclosure of a self-employed person, income forecast for the self-employed, proof of severe disability, etc.) may be required.

Please note

If your financial situation or your living conditions have changed, you are obliged to inform the housing benefit authority immediately of any changes that could lead to a reduction in housing benefit.
In order to avoid or uncover the illegal claiming of housing benefit, the housing benefit authority may, in accordance with §§ 16 et seq.


Housing benefit is usually paid starting on the first of the month in which the application is received by the housing benefit office.

Procedure & Fees


You will only receive housing benefit on application.
You can send applications for housing benefit to the housing benefit office responsible for you. It is sufficient to submit the application in writing - personal visits are not necessary.
After processing you will receive a notification.

Processing time

The application will be decided immediately. The processing time depends, among other things, on the completeness of the information and the submission of the evidence required for processing the application.

However, due to the large number of new applications for housing benefit expected in January 2023, it may take some time to process your application.

Possibly longer processing times are not at your expense: for periods after receipt of the application, housing benefit can also be paid out retrospectively.



Legal notes

Legal remedies


Legal basis

§ 22 para. 1 WOGG application for housing benefit

and § 25 WOGG approval period

Service description

Housing benefit is usually granted as a rent subsidy or subsidy for twelve months.

In order to avoid an interruption in ongoing housing benefit payments, you should submit a new application for continued payment of housing benefit before the end of the current approval period. The requirements for your claim will be checked again.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit