Social assistance payment of funeral expenses
Responsibility: Although the recipient of this service is not the deceased but the person who is obliged to bear the costs according to § 74 SGB XII, the responsibility for paying the funeral costs depends on the circumstances of the...
Although the recipient of this service is not the deceased but the person who is obliged to bear the costs according to § 74 SGB XII, the responsibility for paying the funeral costs depends on the circumstances of the deceased:
With regard to the responsibility, a special regulation is made in § 98 Para. 3 SGB XII.
Local responsibility for covering the funeral costs is therefore the social welfare agency that granted social welfare up to the death of the beneficiary or subordinately in whose area the place of death is.
- If a deceased person in Hamburg received social assistance until death,
then the district social services office that has been providing help up to now is also responsible for approving the benefit in accordance with Section 74 of the XII Book of the Social Code.
- If someone died in Hamburg, was registered in Hamburg, but did not receive any social assistance until his death,
then the district social service office in whose area the deceased was registered is responsible.
- If someone died in Hamburg, was not registered in Hamburg and received social assistance from an external social welfare agency up to the time of death,
then this institution is also responsible for the approval of the § 74 SGB XII benefit.
- If someone died in Hamburg, never had a registered address in Hamburg and was not in receipt of social assistance,
then the Hamburg-Mitte district office (M/GS 8) is responsible for approving the service.
- If someone was placed in a facility/home (with the exception of the Hamburg nursing homes) by the Hamburg social welfare agency and died there,
then the social service center 11 in the district office Eimsbüttel, Grindelberg 62-66, 20144 Hamburg is responsible for the approval of the service according to § 74 SGB XII as the file-keeping office.
- The same applies if someone was housed in Hamburg by an external social welfare agency and died there:
In this case, the external social welfare agency is responsible as the file-keeping office,
If you are obliged to bury a deceased person and you cannot be expected to bear the necessary costs, you can submit an application for payment of the funeral costs.
The burial of the deceased is to be arranged in the following order of priority:
- the spouse or registered partner,
- the children,
- the grandchildren,
- the parents,
- the grandparents
- and the siblings.