Single point of contact for professional recognition, doctor

The exercise of the medical profession is the practice of medicine under the professional title 'doctor' or 'doctor'. According to § 2 of the Federal Medical Code (BÄO), anyone who wants to practice medicine within the scope of this law...

The exercise of the medical profession is the practice of medicine under the professional title 'doctor' or 'doctor'.
According to § 2 of the Federal Medical Code (BÄO), anyone who wants to practice medicine within the scope of this law requires a license to practice medicine.

A temporary exercise of the medical profession or one that is limited to certain activities within the scope of this law is also permitted on the basis of a permit in accordance with § 10 BÄO.

Important notes


Education within the EU
As a rule, automatic recognition is possible for applicants who have completed the training within the EU, provided that proof of the right to unrestricted practice of the medical profession in the home country, issued by the competent authorities there (e.g. diploma) in accordance with Annex V No. 5.1.1 of Directive 2005/36/EC evidence of basic medical training is submitted.

Education outside the EU
It is checked whether equivalence between the submitted foreign training and the local training can be recognized. This requires the submission of the documents listed below. If necessary, these must be submitted as a certified copy and translated. The content of the training presented is then compared with the training in Hamburg. If this results in significant differences or deficits, a knowledge test must be carried out by the Medical Association, otherwise the equivalence will be recognized.

For the verification of equivalence and the processing of an application for the granting of a license to practice medicine, see 'Documents' (original or certified copy and translated if necessary)

Documents required

1. Application with a declaration of pending criminal and investigative proceedings
2. Short, complete résumé with date and signature (including a list of the professional career)
3. birth certificate ,
in the case of married persons, also the marriage certificate or an extract from the family book
4. Proof of Identity
e.g. identity card, passport, travel document
5. Official certificate of good conduct of document type 0 (only on request, must not be older than three months when a license is granted)
6. Medical certificate (only on request, must not be older than three months when the license is granted)
7. Proof of training (s)
Proof of entitlement to practice the medical profession in your home country without restriction, issued by the authorities responsible there (e.g. diploma).
8. Overview of subjects and hours (per semester)
from which the actually taught subjects and hours as well as the hours of practical training completed (e.g. internatur, internship, ordinatur) and the content of the state final examination can be taken. (Only required for training outside the EU.)
9. Professional license certificates (if applicable)
other countries (worldwide). (only required for training outside the EU)
10. Professional permits issued to date (if applicable).
in the Federal Republic of Germany, if necessary proof of the successfully passed aptitude / knowledge test. (Only required for training outside the EU.)
11. Certificate of Current Professional Status / Certificate of Good Standing from the competent authority (s) in the country (s) in which you last worked as a doctor.
12. Proof of knowledge of German (according to the Common European Framework of Reference of the Council of Europe GER)
-general: Proof by submitting a certificate of a passed exam at level B2, or alternatively by a personal interview
- Specialist language: Evidence from a specialist language test to be taken at the Hamburg Chamber of Physicians at level C 1 (at the latest by the time you receive your license to practice medicine).
13. Proof of employment / declaration of intent
14. Proof of previous employment
(only required for training outside the EU)
15. Proof of specialist training (only required for training outside the EU)

Please note

Foreign certificates must be submitted with certified translations by state-sworn translators. For training that was completed outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland, official documents must be confirmed by an apostille or legalization. Information on this at:"


§ 2 para. 2 sentence 8 BÄO: Four months to determine significant differences and order the knowledge test from the completeness of the documents

Procedure & Fees


If the profession is to be practiced in Hamburg, the State Examination Office for Health Professions of the Hamburg Social Welfare Authority is responsible for issuing licences, professional permits and profession-specific advice regarding the recognition of professional qualifications. The process begins with the application.

Processing time

The duration of the procedure depends on the individual case. As a rule, applicants with training in so-called third countries must request information from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) in Bonn.


There are fees for issuing the license of at least 130 euros (training within the EU) or 360 euros (training outside the EU). In addition, there may be costs for, for example, printouts, the determination of equivalence, the granting of a professional license, technical language test, expert opinion and/or knowledge test.

Legal notes

Legal remedies

Objection / Complaint

Legal basis

License to practice medicine for doctors

Federal Doctors' Ordinance

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit