Environment, Climate, Energy and Agriculture Authority

Waste and Disposal - Issuing permits for collectors, carriers, dealers and brokers of hazardous waste

(Hamburg) You must apply for a license to transport, collect, trade and broker hazardous waste for commercial purposes.

Important notes


not specified

Documents required

The following documents are required for the permit procedure:

  • Completed application form
  • Copy of the current business registration
  • Current extract from the commercial register (if entered in the commercial register)
  • Information / information from the central trade register for submission directly to an authority
  • Certificate of good conduct, document type OG, for submission directly to an authority stating the purpose
  • Waste broker permit according to § 54 KrWG
  • Qualifications, e.g. B. relevant course certificates and evidence of previous practical experience.

Please note

Other mediation and trading transactions, e.g. B. with non-hazardous waste must usually be reported in accordance with § 53 KrWG.


A permit is required before the activity requiring a permit can be started.

In the event that a permit is required, the persons responsible for management and supervision must regularly, at least every 3 years, take part in corresponding recognized courses.

Procedure & Fees


The application for a permit must be submitted in writing using the form provided for this purpose.

Processing time

maximum three months


95 euros to 1000 euros

Legal notes

Legal remedies

An appeal against an issued decision can be filed within one month.

Legal basis

Law to Promote the Circular Economy and Ensuring the Environmentally Compatible Management of Waste (KrWG)

Ordinance on the notification and permit procedure for collectors, transporters, dealers and brokers of waste

Service description

Anyone who collects, transports, trades or brokers hazardous waste generally requires a permit. Anyone who already has a waste transport license or brokerage license under previous waste law can continue to use it as long as the license is still valid and no significant changes have occurred. Otherwise a permit is required.
Permission can

  • nationwide or for one or more federal states,
  • indefinitely or for a specific period of time,
  • for all types of waste that have been declared hazardous or for selected types of waste in accordance with the Waste List Ordinance (AVV).
Excluded from the permit requirement for hazardous waste are the public waste disposal authorities and waste disposal companies by law. Further exceptions to the permit requirement are possible by ordinance or special law. Such exceptions currently apply to
  • collectors, carriers, dealers and brokers of hazardous waste operating within the framework of commercial enterprises,
  • collectors and transporters of hazardous waste for recycling, which is taken back by the manufacturer or distributor voluntarily or on the basis of an ordinance,
  • collectors and transporters of end-of-life vehicles,
  • collectors, transporters, dealers and brokers of hazardous waste batteries,
  • collectors, transporters, dealers and brokers of hazardous electrical and electronic equipment,
  • Collectors and transporters of hazardous waste who collect or transport waste by sea vessels and
  • Hazardous waste collectors and carriers who transport waste as part of parcel, express and courier services.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Environment, Climate, Energy and Agriculture Authority
Waste Management
Neuenfelder Straße 19 21109 Hamburg

Room: F.04.414

Facility info

Mensch in einem Rollstuhl Accessible

We have a limited number of customer parking spaces. To reserve a parking space, please contact our receptionist by e-mail at or by telephone on +49 40 428 40 - 50 50. Our working hours are: Monday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m , Friday from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Public transport

S3/S31 Wilhelmsburg, Bus 13/151/152/154/156//155/252 Inselpark

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit