Authority for Justice and Consumer Protection

Apply for a certificate of competence according to the Explosives Act

You can apply for a certificate of competency to handle or trade explosive substances.

Important notes


You will receive a certificate of competency to handle or traffic with explosive substances in accordance with the Explosives Act if the following characteristics are present:

  • You are a natural person
  • They are reliable
  • They are expert
  • They are personally suitable
  • You have reached the age of 21
  • You are a citizen of Germany or the European Union.
  • You can provide a clearance certificate.
  • You have completed a state-recognized specialist course.

Documents required

  • Written Application
  • ID card
  • Certificate of competency for qualified persons (proof of specialist knowledge)
  • Extension must be applied for in good time before the validity expires (at least 4 weeks)
  • In the event of an extension, specialist knowledge must be proven again (repeat course)

Please note

Appointment only by appointment.

The certificate of qualification entitles you to work for a company with a permit in accordance with Section 7 of the Explosives Act.

If you would like to work independently as a qualified person, you must apply for a permit in accordance with Section 7 of the Explosives Act.


The certificate of competency is issued for a period of five years.

In order to extend your certificate of proficiency, you must take a repeat course if you continue to be reliable.

Submit the application no later than 8 to 10 weeks before you intend to start an activity that falls under the Explosives Act (SprangG).

The clearance certificate must not be older than one year.

Procedure & Fees


You can submit the application in writing or electronically.

  • Submit the application with all required documents to the responsible authority.
  • The responsible authority will examine your application. If necessary, the responsible authority will request further documents or information from you.
  • The responsible authority will check the requirements and decide on your application.
  • You will receive a notice or certificate of qualification.
  • You will receive a fee notice.
  • Pay the fees.

Processing time

If the documents are complete, your application will be processed promptly.


A fee will be charged based on the request.

Legal notes

Legal remedies

Administrative court action

Legal basis

§ 20 paragraph 2 Explosives Act (SprengG)

Service description

To handle or trade explosive substances, you as the responsible person need an official certificate of competence.

The certificate of competency can be limited in content, limited in time and (even subsequently) subject to conditions.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Authority for Justice and Consumer Protection
Billstraße 80 20539 Hamburg

Opening hours

Mon-Wed 10am-1pm, Thurs 10am-1pm, 2pm-4pm, Fri 10am-1pm, telephone advice only

Facility info

Public transport

S2 / S21 Rothenburgsort, buses 120/122/124/130/160/224/530 Rothenburgsort

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit