Apply for an extension of your residence permit with sustainable integration

If you have integrated well, you can receive an extension of your residence permit under certain conditions.

Important notes


  • You must have lived in Germany for a long time
    • People with a residence permit: for at least six years (or four years if you live with a minor child)
    • People with a tolerated stay: for at least 30 months
  • Your identity has been clearly established
  • They are committed to the basic democratic order
  • You speak German
  • You largely secure your livelihood without having to rely on social benefits

Documents required

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Current biometric passport photo (45 x 35 mm)
  • current residence permit
  • Evidence of integration
  • Proof of securing your livelihood (e.g. employment contract, own assets, payment of security into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment)
  • Rental agreement and proof of current rent
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • For minors: consent of all persons with custody of the child to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody cannot submit the application jointly for their child, a written authorization from the absent parent is required; if custody is only granted to one parent, the signature of this parent is sufficient

The documents and information must generally be submitted in German. In individual cases, the responsible authority may require less or more evidence.

Please note

In certain cases, such as illness or disability, certain requirements may not apply.

Spouses, life partners and minor children of a sustainably integrated person can also obtain a residence permit under certain conditions.


You must submit your application before your current residence permit expires (6-8 weeks in advance is recommended).

Procedure & Fees


  • Find out whether the office responsible for your application allows you to submit your application online or has a special application form. In Hamburg, the application can be submitted online.
  • You submit your application.
  • The responsible authority will examine your application and, if necessary, request any necessary documents or information from you.
  • The responsible office will contact you to arrange an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is approved, your fingerprints will be taken to produce a new electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • You pay the applicable fees.
  • The Federal Printing Office will be commissioned to produce your new eAT card.
  • Once completed, you will receive information and can collect the residence permit in the form of the eAT card in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection letter. In this case, you will also have to pay an administration fee.

Processing time

You should expect processing to take 6-8 weeks. If you submit all the required documents in full and well prepared, processing may be quicker. After approval, it will then take another 4-6 weeks for the Federal Printing Office to produce your electronic residence permit.



96.00 EUR for a further stay of up to three months

93.00 EUR for a further stay of more than three months


48.00 EUR for a further stay of up to three months

46.50 EUR for a further stay of more than three months

Legal notes

Legal remedies

You can appeal against a rejection within one month of notification.

Legal basis

§ 8 Paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)

§ 25b paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)

Service description

If you have integrated well, you can receive an extension of your residence permit under certain conditions.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit