Apply for a residence permit following a confirmation of admission

The Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs can grant you a confirmation of admission. Following the confirmation of admission, you can apply for a residence permit or settlement permit.

Important notes


  • You have been accepted

Documents required

  • Acceptance notice
  • biometrical passport picture

Please note



The deadlines that apply to you are stated in your acceptance letter.

Procedure & Fees


  • The Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs (BMI) will grant you a confirmation of admission
  • You are applying for a residence permit or settlement permit. Find out whether the office responsible for your application allows you to apply online or has a special application form. In Hamburg, the application can be submitted online.
  • The responsible authority will examine your application and, if necessary, request any necessary documents or information from you.
  • The responsible office will contact you to arrange an appointment.
    During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is approved, your fingerprints will be taken to produce a new electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • You pay the applicable fees.
  • The Federal Printing Office will be commissioned to produce your new eAT card.
  • Once completed, you will receive information and can collect the residence permit in the form of the eAT card in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection letter. In this case, you will also have to pay an administration fee.

Processing time

You should expect processing to take 6-8 weeks. If you submit all the required documents in full and well prepared, processing may be quicker. After approval, it will then take another 4-6 weeks for the Federal Printing Office to produce your electronic residence permit.



Legal notes

Legal remedies

You can lodge an appeal against a rejection with the department within one month of notification.

Legal basis

Section 23 (2) Residence Act

Service description

The Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs (BMI) can order that certain groups of people be granted admission. As a result of the admission, you as a member of this group of people can be granted a residence permit or settlement permit. You must apply for the residence permit or settlement permit at the responsible authority.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit