Surname change child - redetermination of birth name

You can change your child's name if you have joint custody with the other parent after the birth.

Important notes


  • Child already has a name
  • Joint parental concern is only established in retrospect
  • if the child is 5 years or older: consent of the child

Documents required

  • Child's birth certificate (possibly with official translation)
  • ID cards or passports
  • marriage certificate or
  • Proof of Custody
Additional documents may be required in individual cases. You can ask for this at the registry office.

Please note

If you, your spouse or the child do not speak German, you must hire an interpreter at your own expense.


The maiden name must be redetermined within 3 months of the establishment of joint custody of the child.

Procedure & Fees


You can submit the declaration of the name change to any registry office. You must have them authenticated by either a notary or registrar. The declaration becomes effective as soon as it arrives at the registry office.



Legal notes

Legal basis

Section 46 Civil Status Ordinance (PStV)

Section 1617b paragraph 5 of the German Civil Code (BGB)

§ 45 Civil Status Act (PStG)

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit