Surname change due to the declaration of expellees, late resettlers, their spouses and descendants

You acquired your name under foreign law and now want to align it with German law.

Important notes


  • No acquisition of the name under German law. Your name or parts of your name are unknown under German law
  • Displaced person or late resettler or a spouse or descendant

Documents required

  • ID card or passport
  • Birth certificate with official translation
  • registration certificate
  • if available:
    • late repatriate certificate
    • Displaced Persons ID Card

Additional documents may be required in your specific case. Please inquire about this in advance by telephone at your registry office.

Please note

  • You can hire an interpreter at your own expense.
  • The declarations according to § 94 BVFG and Art. 47 EGBGB can only be made once.



Procedure & Fees


  • Contact the registry office at your place of residence. Describe your concern. Submit all relevant documents.
  • The registry office will advise you on how your name can be changed. To do this, make an appointment with the registry office. At this appointment, the registrar will take a statement from you about the change of your name. A certificate will then be issued to you.

Processing time

Approx. four to six weeks.


  • Declaration of naming: 35,50 €

  • Certificate of name change: 18,00 €

Legal notes

Legal remedies

Application to the district court of Hamburg, Sievekingplatz1, for instructions from the registrar

Legal basis

Service description

As a person who has been expelled or is relocating late, you, your spouse or your descendants can discard parts of your previous name if these are not common in Germany. They can also take the original form of a modified name. This applies to names that have been modified according to gender or family relationship. Furthermore, you can also adopt German-language forms of your first or family name. If there are no such German-language forms, you can also adopt new first names. If you are married, you can also choose a common surname or accept your surname in a German translation.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit