Application for a work permit as a medical-technical laboratory assistant from EU/EEA/Switzerland

Would you like to work as a medical laboratory assistant in Germany? Then you need a government permit. You can have your foreign professional qualifications recognized.

Important notes


  • You have successfully completed training as a medical laboratory assistant in the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and are entitled to work there independently as a medical laboratory assistant.
  • You want to work in Germany as a medical laboratory assistant.
  • Personal suitability: You are reliable for work as a medical laboratory assistant and have no criminal record.
  • Medical suitability: You are mentally and physically fit to work as a medical laboratory assistant.
  • You have German language skills at the required language level. This is usually language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Documents required

  • Application (available online)
  • Documents according to the information sheet (available online)
  • Language certificate B2/ specialist language test (see information sheet)
  • medical certificate (available online)
  • Official certificate of good conduct according to Section 30 Paragraph 5 of the Federal Central Register Act (BZRG)

Please note




Procedure & Fees


You compile your documents based on the information sheet that you can find on our website or that we sent you. You submit the documents to us together with the application in the required form.

Verification of equivalence
The responsible body will then check whether you meet all the requirements. An important requirement is the equivalence of your professional qualification. The responsible body will compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a medical-technical laboratory assistant. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the test
If equivalence exists, submit proof of your health, language and personal suitability (information sheet).

If there is no equivalence, you will complete an adaptation measure in the form of an aptitude test or an adaptation course. You will receive further information about this from us.

Processing time

  • up to 2 months in accelerated procedure

  • up to 3 months in regular procedure


at least EUR 350

depending on the effort up to EUR 550

Legal notes

Legal remedies

An objection to a negative decision can be raised within one month of notification at the office specified in the letterhead.

Legal basis

§ 1 para. 1 No. 1, § 2 law on technical assistants in medicine

§§ 1 Para. 1 No. 1, 25, 25b, 25c, Annex 1 to § 1 Para. 1 No. 1 Training and Examination Ordinance for Technical Assistants in Medicine

Service description

In order to work as a medical laboratory assistant in Germany, you need a professional permit. For this, the equivalence of your foreign training with the German training is checked. If equivalence is established, you can get a professional permit if the requirements are met. If equivalence is not established, you must first complete an adaptation measure (aptitude test/adaptation course) before you can receive a professional permit.

In order to make the profession of medical-technical assistant more attractive, the law to reform technical assistant professions in medicine and to amend other laws (MTA Reform Act) will improve the conditions of medical-technical professions from January 1, 2023. An important innovation is the change in job titles. The title of medical-technical laboratory assistant or medical-technical laboratory assistant will become the title of medical technologist for laboratory analysis or medical technologist for laboratory analysis. The old and the new MTA Act will apply in parallel until December 31, 2026. In Hamburg, however, all related procedures are already being decided according to the new legal situation.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit