Application as an honorary administrative judge

Would you like to get involved as an honorary administrative judge? For this you have to apply and be elected.

Important notes


  • possession of German citizenship
  • Minimum age of 25 years at the beginning of the term
  • Residence in Hamburg
  • no civil servants and employees, no soldiers
  • no conviction for an intentionally committed criminal offense of more than 6 months
  • no loss of ability to hold public office by judge's decision
  • no financial collapse (e.g. personal bankruptcy)

Documents required

It is no longer possible to apply for the coming term of office. If you are interested, you can contact your local district office. You will then be informed about the application process at the beginning of the next application period, probably in winter/spring 2028.

Please note

There are the following notes :
As an incumbent honorary administrative judge, you must reapply.
You do not need any legal training to make the choice.


Applications for the 2024 to 2028 term of office are no longer possible.

Procedure & Fees


In the spring of 2023, the districts will draw up nomination lists for the elections and you can apply:

  • You submit the completed application form to the district office by post, in person or scanned by e-mail.
  • They will be included in the draft of a proposal list.
  • The district assembly will decide on the list of proposals from mid-March 2023.
  • The elections are expected to take place in autumn 2023.
You will be informed of the election result by December 2023.

Processing time

Applicants will be informed of the results of the elections by December 2023.



Legal notes

Legal remedies


Legal basis

§ 28 Administrative Court Code (VwGO)

Service description

Volunteer administrative judges are involved in the oral hearing and the decision-making process at the administrative court and the higher administrative court.

Administrative jurisdiction serves to protect individuals from illegal administrative measures. If someone feels their rights have been violated by public authority, they have legal recourse under the Basic Law. This legal protection is primarily granted by the administrative courts. Legal disputes can B. Disputes arising from immigration and asylum law, school, construction, civil service, regulatory and health law.

As an elected person, you are obliged to attend the meetings to which you have been invited. The employer has to release you for the time of your assignment.
You will receive compensation for your work (including for loss of earnings, lost time and travel expenses). There is no further compensation.

Elections take place every five years. Election year is always the year before the new five-year term begins.

The next term of office begins on January 1st, 2024 and ends on December 31st, 2028.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit