Krameramtsstuben Historic Houses
The timber-framed “Fachwerk” houses on Krayenkamp are the oldest assembly of townhouses in Europe. They were built between 1620 and 1700, in direct vicinity of St. Michaels’s Church. The buildings were owned to a guild of grocers (Kramer), who dealt in spices, silk and hardware. Their code of arms, a scale, can still be seen on some of the houses’ walls. While the merchants operated shops on ground-floor, the rooms upstairs were provided to the widows of deceased members. The trade guild was prosperous enough to finance this early form of a self-organised pension system. Not being allowed to run their deceased husbands’ operations, the widows were granted these homes as compensation, along with a modest monthly payment and regular deliveries of combustible materials.
Since 1933, the “Krameramtsstuben” have been protected as heritage buildings. They miraculously survived the bomb raids of WWII without considerable damages. Today, you can find many small shops and galleries on the ground-floor of these houses. The oldest house has been restored during the 1970ies and can be visited as an outpost of the Hamburg Museum. Original furnishings of the 1850s give a good idea of what life in the urban middle-class must have been like 160 years ago.
Krayenkamp 10, 20459 Hamburg
0049 40 3750 1988
Apr ─ Oct: Tue ─ Sun 10:00 a.m. ─ 5 p.m.
Nov ─ Mar: Sat ─ Sun 10:00 a.m. ─ 5 p.m.
Subway U3 to Rödingsmarkt, S1, S2,S3 to Stadthausbrücke or bus routes M6, 37 to Michaeliskirche