Hamburg Welcome Center - Entry & Residence

Hamburg Welcome Portal Information on au pair stays

Would you like to know when you can come to Germany as an au pair? Then you can find more information here.

Au-Pair Au-Pair (männlich) mit Kleinkind

Au-Pair Stay in Hamburg

You can find out who is allowed to come to Germany as an au pair and the general requirements for this in the information sheet from the Department of the Interior and Sport (Behörde für Inneres und Sport). You can download this to your device.


If you are a national or citizen of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America, you can enter Germany without a visa. After entry, you must apply for a residence permit.

What do I have to do after entering the country?

After entering the country, the following must be done:

  •     Registration of residence
  •     Apply for a residence permit
       (in case your visa is not valid until the end of your stay or you entered without a visa)

The requirements for applying for a residence permit can be found in the information sheet issued by the Department of the Interior and Sport. The requirements are the same as for applying for a visa.