Registration in Hamburg
You should register your new address within two weeks after moving into your new home. This can be done at your local customer service centre (Kundenzentrum). Booking the appointment is enough to meet the two-week deadline. After registration, you’ll receive a Meldebescheinigung (Proof of Residence) which you need in order to open a bank account, get German health insurance, apply for a residence permit, enrol into university and get a mobile phone number.
Getting an appointment
Book an appointment online (Termin vereinbaren) at any customer service centre (Kundenzentrum). Select either registration (Anmeldung) or moving within Hamburg (Ummeldung). Then, select one of the locations and choose a time slot.
What should you bring?
- Completed and signed registration form
- Landlord/-lady confirmation “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”
- Official photo identification (identification card or passport) for every registering person
- Administration fee: EUR 12
In addition, further documents must be submitted by:
- Married / Partnered couples: marriage certificate (original)
- Divorcees: divorce decree (original)
- Widowed persons: death certificate (original)
- Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT): the residence permit
Be sure to deregister your residence at the city authorities before moving away from Hamburg. For this, hand in a completed deregistration form as well as an official photo ID to one of the city office centres. An appointment isn't necessary.
Deregistration is only necessary when
- you move abroad
- you move out from your secondary residence (Zweitwohnung).
To deregister your residence in Hamburg, please visit a customer service center of your choice. The deregistration is free of charge and without prior appointment booking. You will receive a confirmation of deregistration. As a customer of the Hamburg Welcome Center, you can send the deregistration by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand it in personally.
For deregistering your residence, please submit the following documents:
- official photo identification (identification card or passport) for every certifying person
- copy of your official photo identification, if you send the deregistration by e-mail
- completed and signed deregistration form
Please note that the date of your moving out is decisive for the deregistration. A deregistration even though you still live in the apartment is not possible.
More information about registration in Hamburg can be found in the Forms section.