Registration in Hamburg
You have to register your new address within two weeks after moving into your new home. This can be done at one of the customer service centres (Kundenzentrum) in Hamburg. Booking the appointment is enough to meet the two-week deadline. After the registration, you will receive a confirmation of the registration (Meldebescheinigung) which you need in order to open a bank account, apply for a residence permit, enroll into university and get a mobile phone number.
Where can I register?
Book an appointment online (Termin vereinbaren) at any customer service centre (Kundenzentrum). Select either registration (Anmeldung) or moving within Hamburg (Ummeldung). Then, select one of the locations and choose a time slot. You can also find an English guide here.
What should I bring?
- Completed and signed registration form (Meldeschein)
- confirmation of the landlord “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”
- Official photo identification (identification card or passport) for every registering person
- Administration fee: EUR 12
In addition, further documents must be submitted by:
- Married / Partnered couples: marriage certificate (original)
- Divorcees: divorce decree (original)
- Widowed persons: death certificate (original)
- Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT): the residence permit
Be sure to deregister your residence at one of the customer service centres before moving away from Hamburg. This service is free of charge and an appointment isn't necessary.
Deregistration is only necessary when:
- you move abroad
- you move out from your secondary residence (Zweitwohnung).
For deregistering your residence, please submit the following documents:
- official photo identification (identification card or passport) for every certifying person
- copy of your official photo identification, if you send the deregistration by e-mail
- completed and signed deregistration form
Please note that the date of your moving out is decisive for the deregistration. A deregistration even though you still live in the apartment is not possible.