Hamburg Welcome Center - Entry & Residence

Legal regulations Transfer of the residence permit to a new passport

You have a new passport or your old passport has become invalid? Then there are now some things to consider!

Visumfreiheit Ausreise

Transfer of the residence permit to a new passport

Do you have a valid residence permit and have received a new passport?

In this case, you must have a new card (electronic residence permit, eAT for short) issued. This is called a 'transfer' ('Übertrag'), as the new passport number will be transferred to your new card (eAT). Your current card still refers to your old passport.

Would you like to travel abroad before your new card (eAT) has been issued?

Then please take your old passport, your card (eAT) and the new passport with you when you travel. Then you can re-enter Germany.

Please note: Other conditions may apply in the country you wish to travel to. Find out in good time which documents you need for your planned trip. Information on this can be obtained, for example, from the diplomatic mission of the country you wish to travel to.

Travel information for holders of a settlement permit

If you are in possession of a settlement permit, you have a permanent residence permit. Only the use of the card (eAT) is linked to the duration of the passport. You are still in possession of a residence permit, even if your card (eAT) has already expired. 

If you are planning to travel abroad, it is generally possible to travel with the expired passport, the new passport and the residence permit (eAT or sticker).

The Federal Ministry of the Interior points out that you may only have to wait longer at border control when you re-enter Germany. This also applies to the settlement permit issued as an adhesive label in the (old) passport.

Requirements for transfer 

  • Main residence in Hamburg 
  • Personal visit with appointment 

Transfers are only carried out at the Hamburg Welcome Center and also at the Hamburg Service vor Ort - Ausländerangelegenheiten ('Foreigners' Affairs') by appointment. You can use the Online Service Residence Permit to apply for an appointment. Here you select the service "Transfer".

Required documents 

  • Your new passport 
  • Your old passport (If your passport was stolen and you reported the theft to the police, please bring the report with you). 
  • Your electronic residence permit, together with the supplementary sheet ('Zusatzblatt')
  • 1 recent biometric passport photo (35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth looking straight into the camera, light background