Some pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) are subject to special rules for the entry of these animals from non-EU countries. This helps to prevent the infiltration and spread of infectious diseases.
In order to avoid entry problems, dogs, cats and ferrets, which are imported from a non-EU country, must meet the following requirements:
- Identification by tattoo or microchip
- Valid anti-rabies vaccination
- existing EU pet passport alternatively veterinary certificate
- Existing vaccination records and, if applicable, the results of the rabies antibody test
Please note: You are not allowed to bring more than five animals with you (otherwise EU trading conditions apply) and entry with dogs, cats or ferrets may only take place via approved points of entry. Detailed information can be found on the website of the German Customs (Zoll).
Registration of dogs
In Hamburg, dog owners have to register their dog with the dog register. The requirements for the registration are that the dog has liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) for dogs and has an implanted microchip.
Registration can take place in any customer service centre or online. Use the authority finder to locate your nearest customer service centre and book an appointment there. Just type in your adress and click "Weiter" to see the contact details of the closest customer service centre.
The following documents are required:
- German ID card or passport with confirmation of registration (Meldebestätigung)
- microchip number
- Certificate from your liability insurer confirming the existence of liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung für Hunde)
- breed, size (shoulder height), sex and date of birth of your dog
- Money for the fees (30€ at a customer service centre / 14€ online)
You don't have to register your dog personally, but you can let a person of your trust do it for you. You only have to give her a written power of attorney in addition to the documents mentioned above. The authorised person must be able to prove his identity. Further information can be found here.
In Hamburg there is a general leash duty for dogs. So you must always keep your dog on a leash. But there are free running areas in every district, the so-called Hundeauslaufzonen (dog run zones), where you can let your dog run free and play.
Please observe the regulations for dangerous dogs which apply in Hamburg.