Registration / imago stock&people / Westend61


Registering at the city authorities to receive a Proof of Residence should be one of the first things you do after arriving in Hamburg.

Registration at the Hamburg city authorities

Registering yourself at the city authorities should be one of the first things you do after arriving in Hamburg. Officially, you should have registered two weeks after moving into your new address. You’ll receive a Meldebescheinigung (Proof of Residence) which you need in order to open a bank account, get German health insurance, apply for a residence permit, enrol into the university and to get a mobile phone plan.

Getting an appointment

Book an appointment online (Termin vereinbaren) at any Resident Registration Office (Kundenzentrum). Select either registration (Anmeldung) or moving within Hamburg (Ummeldung). Then, select one of the locations and choose a time slot.

What should you bring?

  • Official photo identification, such as an ID card or a passport
  • Birth certificates, marriage license or divorce decree (if applicable)
  • Completed and signed registration form
  • Signed residency statement from the main tenant or house owner
  • Administration fee of 12 euros (cash or debit card)

What do you receive?

Upon registration, you’ll receive a Meldebescheinigung: an official document stating your residency address in Hamburg. After registration, a tax identity number (Steueridentifikationsnummer) will be automatically sent to this address.

Leaving Hamburg

Be sure to deregister your residence at the city authorities before moving abroad. For this, hand in a completed deregistration form as well as an official photo ID to one of the Registration Offices. An appointment isn't necessary.

These and other forms in English can be found at the Hamburg Welcome Portal.