Ban on the consumption of alcoholic drinks in public
After the winter saw an extensive ban on drinking alcohol in public in order to prevent groups of people from forming and to avoid violations of the physical distancing rules and contact restrictions, the Hamburg Senate has decided to contain the ban to specific public places at certain times of the day.
The ban on the consumption of alcohol in public places is now in effect from Monday to Friday between 2 p.m. and 6 a.m. the following morning, all day on Saturdays, and all day on Sundays and holidays until 6 a.m. the following morning.
The ban is geographically limited to the following public places. An exception to these places is the consumption of alcohol in the outdoor seating areas of restaurants and bars.
Public areas affected
It is now prohibited to drink alcohol publicly within the time frame stated above
- on Reeperbahn street, including Nobistor and the Beatles-Platz and Spielbudenplatz squares, delimited by Millerntorplatz square, Zirkusweg, Holstenstraße and Finkenpark, as well as on Spielbudenplatz from no. 1 to 31;
- on Große Freiheit street from no. 1 to 47;
- on Talstraße street from no. 1 to 36 and on Hamburger Berg street from no. 1 to 39;
- on Hans-Albers-Platz square;
- in the Antonipark (Park Fiction), including Bernhard-Nocht-Straße from no. 1 to 3 and St. Pauli Hafenstraße from no. 140 to 126;
- on Schulterblatt street from no. 85 to 1;
- on Susannenstraße street;
- on Bartelsstraße street from no. 63 to 1
- on Schanzenstraße street from no. 1 to 121;
- on Neuer Kamp street no. 30 (Lattenplatz);
- in Neuer Pferdemarkt park;
- on Beim Grünen Jäger street from no. 1 to 16;
- on Wohlwillstraße street from no. 29 to 55;
- on Paulinenplatz square and on Paulinenstraße street from no. 8 to 18;
- on Paul-Roosen-Straße street from no. 4 to 49;
- on Clemens-Schultz-Straße street from no. 1 to 56;
- on Wohlers Allee street in front of no. 78;
- in Schanzenpark;
- in Wohlers Park;
- in Emil-Wendt-Park;
- on Hansaplatz square, including the following areas:
a. on Rostocker Straße street from Hansaplatz up to no. 12;
b. on Brennerstraße street from Hansaplatz up to no. 5;
c. on Stralsunder Straße street from Hansaplatz up to no. 4;
d. on Bremer Reihe street from Hansaplatz up to no. 21;
e. on Ellmenreichstraße street from Hansaplatz up to no. 22a;
f. on Baumeisterstraße street from Hansaplatz up to no. 17;
g. on Zimmerpforte street from Hansaplatz up to no. 3;
- on Steindamm street from Steintorplatz up to no. 33;
- on Harvestehuder Weg street from no. 1a to 78b along the Alster lake banks including the adjacent parks Alstervorland and Eichenpark, on Krugkoppelbrücke street, on Alsterufer street up to no. 1 including the adjacent parks and lake banks, on Kennedybrücke street including the adjacent parks and lake banks;
- along the walkways surrounding the inner Alster lake (Binnenalster), on Jungfernstieg, Lombardsbrücke and Ballindamm streets;
- on Jungfernstieg street from no. 1 to 32 including the Alster piers;
- on Ballindamm street in front of no. 40, in the area between Ballindamm and Bergstraße streets;
- on Landungsbrücken piers 1 to 10 as well as the Überseebrücke pier;
- on Bornsteinplatz square;
- on Alma-Wartenberg-Platz square, including Bahrenfelder Straße street from no. 135 to 146 and from no. 183 to 188, on Kleine Rainstraße street from no. 3 to 6, on Nöltingstraße street from no. 5 to 12, on Friedensallee street from no. 7 to 14 as well as on Bergiusstraße street up to no. 7;
- in Jenischpark.
See the publication by the Senatskanzlei (German only) on this topic and the map attached for visualisation and better understanding.
Please note that in certain cases, the police may prohibit drinking alcohol in public in additional places if persons refuse or fail to comply with the physical distancing rules or contact restrictions due to collective alcohol consumption.