Driving License


Driving License

Most foreign driving licenses lose their validity after you've been in Germany more than six months. Find out how to keep driving.

Foreign Driving License

All non-EU/EEA foreign driving licenses will lose their validity after six months. If you're staying in Hamburg for more than six months, you'll likely need to validate your foreign driving license in order to continue to legally drive in Germany. Some exceptions apply. Find out how to book an appointment with the State Office For Transport below.

EU & EEA Member States

Are you from the EU or EEA and Hamburg is your main place of residence? You can, but are not obliged to change your driving license into a German equivalent. If you wish to do so, visit one of the four service points listed below. You'll have to bring your passport, the registration confirmation and a passport picture (35 mm x 45 mm).  You will find more information at the official 'Landesbetrieb Verkehr' pages (only German).

(Partially) Exempted States

Holders of driving licences from some foreign states are (partially) exempted from taking the otherwise obligatory theoretical and practical driving tests and health exams in order to legally drive in Germany. You still need to obtain a German driving license, but the process is easier. In countries like USA, Canada or Australia, the rules of exemption depend on which federal state, province or territory the license was issued by. Browse through the list of exempted states [PDF].

Non-Exempted States

All non-EU/EEA foreign driving licenses will lose their validity in Germany after six months. If your license was issued by a non-EU/EEA or non-exempted state, you will need to pass practical and theoretical driving exams, complete a first aid course and undergo a vision exam in order to legally drive in Germany after six months of residency. You will find more information at the official 'Landesbetrieb Verkehr' pages (only German).

Book an appointment

Book an appointment online with State Office for Transport (Landesbetrieb Verkehr ─ LBV) to start the process. Select the 'Führerschein, Kontrollgeräte' option and choose 'F09 ─ Umschreibung ausländischer Führerschein', then choose a location and time for your appointment.

Required documents

Exempted states:

  • passport
  • registration confirmation
  • foreign valid driving license
  • passport picture (35 mm x 45 mm)
  • possibly a translation of driving license and/or classification

Non-exempted states:

  • Passport
  • registration confirmation
  • foreign passport
  • possibly translation of driver's license and/or classification
  • passport picture (35 mm x 45 mm)
  • eyesight test
  • first aid training
  • medical report (class C/D)

More information

The Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) offers extensive information about rules and regulations for EU and non-EU drivers living in Germany.

Or visit one of the LBV offices:

LBV Hamburg-Mitte, Ausschläger Weg 100, 20537 Hamburg
LBV Hamburg-Nord, Langenhorner Chaussee 491, 22419 Hamburg

Phone.: +49 (0)40  42858-0
E-Mail: fuehrerschein@lbv.hamburg.de