change of residence

If you move into an apartment, you must register with the registration office within two weeks of moving in.

Important notes


  • You moved into an apartment, didn't you
  • Visit to Hamburg longer than six months from within Germany or three months from abroad
  • Registration only by personal appearance or an authorized person of legal age.
  • The presence of a spouse is sufficient (provided the immigration is from within Germany
  • When moving from abroad, personal appearance is generally required for all persons who are subject to registration.

Documents required

  • Documents of all moving persons:
    • Identity card and - if available - passport
    • Children (up to their 18th birthday): ID card and/or passport if available, otherwise birth certificate; personal presence is not required - exception: immigration from abroad. In the case of children, the birth certificate must be presented in the appropriate form (international certificate or apostille/legalization carried out by a sworn translator in Germany) and all persons subject to registration must appear in person
  • landlord confirmation
  • When moving into residential property: notarial purchase contract or extract from the land register
The following data or documents are also required:
  • of people who have moved to Germany from abroad: the last residential address in Germany (confirmation of registration, date of moving in and out), as well as the completed and signed registration form.
  • persons being cared for: written power of attorney or carer ID
  • Persons who cannot appear in person: written authorization and identification documents of the person to be registered (this only applies if the person is already registered in Germany)
Spouses, life partners and family members with the same immigration data (immigration date as well as previous and current homes) should use one registration form together.

You should also bring the following documents with you:
  • Married/partnered:
    • Original marriage certificate
    • Both IDs (unless they live separately)
  • divorced:
    • final divorce decree (original)
  • widowed:
    • original death certificate
  • Unmarried and shared apartments:
    • Presentation of the identity cards of all persons as well as additional written authorizations of the persons who are not present
  • Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT)
    • the residence permit

Please note

There are the following hints:

  • A re-registration of minors (up to the age of 16) without both legal guardians must always be clarified in advance by telephone with Hamburg Service.
  • From the age of 16 you can register without the consent of the legal guardians.
  • If a minor who has previously lived with both parents in a main residence is re-registered by one parent in a new main residence, the consent of the other parent, a written agreement from the parents about the child’s center of life or a family court decision on the transfer of the sole right of residence to be submitted. The same applies if the sole residence or the main residence of the minor is to be re-registered from the residence of one parent to the residence of the other parent.
  • In order to be able to vote in an election in the municipality, you must have lived in the municipality for at least three months and be entitled to vote. If you register with a municipality with your main place of residence, you will automatically be entered in the electoral roll for the next upcoming election or vote. Special features apply to the European elections for foreign Union citizens.


You are obliged to register with the registration office at your place of residence within two weeks of moving in. Late registrations can be punished with a fine.

Procedure & Fees


You can register in Hamburg at the Hamburg Service location for residents' affairs.
To register from abroad, you must fill out and sign the officially prescribed registration form. If you are re-registering or registering from within Germany, you do not need to submit the registration form. The registration form will be printed out by Hamburg Service after you have entered your data. You must then confirm the correctness of the data on the printout by signing it. Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation of registration.

Processing time

The processing takes about 12 minutes.


The fees are:

  • 13 EUR per adult or person under 18 who auditions alone.

  • 13 EUR per family (parents including minor children with the same moving dates).

  • 13 EUR per married couple (without children with the same moving dates).

Legal notes

Legal remedies


Legal basis

Service description

If you move into an apartment, you have to register with the registration office.
If you are under the age of 16, registration is the responsibility of the person whose apartment you are moving into. Newborns who were born in Germany only have to be registered if they are taken into an apartment other than that of their parents or mother. If you are of legal age and a caregiver has been appointed for you who can determine where you are staying, he or she is responsible for registering.
Each time you register, you must inform the registration office whether you have any other apartments in Germany and, if so, which ones, and which of these apartments is your main residence.
When registering with the registration office, you must submit written confirmation from the landlord or a person commissioned by him (landlord confirmation).
The confirmation from the landlord must contain the following data:

  • Name and address of the landlord and if he is not the owner, also the name of the owner,
  • move-in date,
  • address of the apartment as well as
  • Names of the persons who are subject to registration under Section 17 (1) of the Federal Registration Act (BMG).
If you are moving from abroad, you must bring a completed and signed registration form with you.
You will receive written confirmation of your registration free of charge.

If, for some reason, you do not want your personal data to be passed on, you have the option of objecting to the passing on in some cases. If the relevant requirements are met, it may also be possible to apply for an information and transmission block.

Choose one of 22 facilities ...

Enlarge map

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit