Apply for a national visa

If you want to enter Germany for a long-term stay, you must apply for a national visa.

Important notes


The requirements depend on your nationality and the purpose of your stay. They are regulated in detail in the provisions of the Residence Act and other statutory ordinances.

Documents required

Details on the documents to be submitted can be found on the websites of the German missions abroad.

Please note

The consulate of the destination country is responsible (see link).

Information can also be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office (see link).


Please submit your application in good time. Information on the appointment situation and on booking appointments can be found on the websites of the German missions abroad.

Procedure & Fees


  • You must apply for a visa for a long-term stay at the diplomatic mission responsible for you.
  • Find out more about the application process and the documents to be submitted on the website of the diplomatic mission responsible for you
  • Make an appointment at the diplomatic mission
  • Download, print and fill out the visa application. Please speak to the diplomatic mission in person on the agreed date. Please bring the completed application and all required documents with you.
  • An employee of the mission abroad will interview you. For safety reasons, this takes place at the counter.
  • In certain cases, after your application has been accepted, the diplomatic mission will contact the immigration authorities or, if you start work, the Federal Employment Agency in Germany, which is responsible for the place where you would like to live or work. In these cases, the mission abroad can only issue the visa if the immigration authorities or the Federal Employment Agency agree.
  • The visa is affixed to your passport in the form of a sticker.
  • You will only receive a written notification if you cannot be granted a visa.
  • If you are already in Germany: Please contact the immigration office responsible for you. She is responsible for questions relating to residence law and decides on your application.

Processing time

Depending on the individual case, between a few days and several months


  • Standard rate: EUR 75.00

  • for minors up to their 18th birthday: EUR 37.50 In certain cases the fee can be reduced or waived entirely.

Legal notes

Legal remedies

  • You can present (remonstrate) your objections in writing to the mission abroad within one month. The mission abroad will then check your visa application again.

  • If your application was also rejected after the second examination, you can file a complaint with the Berlin Administrative Court within one month.

  • You can also file a complaint directly with the Berlin Administrative Court within one month.

Legal basis

Law on the residence, employment and integration of foreigners in Germany


Residence Ordinance


Ordinance on the Employment of Foreigners


Service description

Depending on your nationality, you will need a national visa for stays in Germany longer than 90 days. The procedure and the requirements also depend on the purpose for which you want to stay in Germany (e.g. gainful employment, family reunification, studies and training).

Citizens of EU countries and some other countries (e.g. Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Australia) do not need a visa. As a rule, they can also enter the country for a longer stay without a national visa and apply for their residence permit at the immigration authorities after entering the country. You can find a complete list of countries with an indication of the respective visa requirements on the website of the Federal Foreign Office. In certain cases you have to prove knowledge of the German language.

The issuing of the national visa is based on the same regulations that also apply to the issuing of the residence permit, which you must apply for in Germany after the visa has expired (e.g. residence permit, EU Blue Card).

Address and contact information

Opening hours

Please call for opening times in advance.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit