Online-Service available
Appointment required

Customer Center Hamburg-Nord

Register your residence as a secondary residence

If you move into another apartment in Germany in addition to your main residence, you must register this as a secondary residence with the responsible registration authority within 2 weeks of moving in. If you are under the age of 16,...

If you move into another apartment in Germany in addition to your main residence, you must register this as a secondary residence with the responsible registration authority within 2 weeks of moving in.

If you are under the age of 16, your new secondary residence must be registered by the person whose apartment you are moving into.

If you are over 18 years of age and you have been assigned guardianship or care that affects your right to determine your residence, then your new secondary residence must be registered by the person.

You only have to register newborns who were born in Germany if they move into a different apartment than that of their parents or mother.

You, or a person authorized by you, must personally visit the registration office responsible for you to register your new secondary residence.

If you move into a new second home in Hamburg, you can also register it online under certain conditions.

You can choose between all customer centers for this service, regardless of where you live.

Due to the applicable contact restrictions and distance rules, customer service is currently only possible under special conditions. There is therefore an obligation to make an appointment to visit the customer center.
Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Customer Center Hamburg-Nord
District Office Hamburg-Nord
Specialized Office for Residents
Lenhartzstraße 28 20249 Hamburg

Room: Kundenzentrum

Add to addressbook

Facility info

Mensch in einem Rollstuhl Accessible

Wenn Sie einen Personalausweis, Reisepass oder Kinderreisepass beantragen möchten, können Sie zur Erfassung der notwendigen biometrischen Daten (Foto, Unterschrift, Fingerabdrücke) ein vorhandenes Selbsterfassungsterminal nutzen (Kosten 6 Euro). Das Mitbringen eines Fotos entfällt dann. Planen Sie bitte vor Ihrem Termin einige Minuten mehr Zeit für die Erfassung Ihrer Daten ein, sofern Sie das Selbsterfassungsterminal nutzen möchten. Bitte sprechen Sie im Anschluss bei der Sachbearbeitung vor.

Public transport

U1/U3 Kellinghusenstraße, Bus 114 Bezirksamt Hamburg-Nord, Busse 20/25 Julius-Reincke-Stieg

Important notes


  • In addition to your main residence, you have moved into another residence in Germany.

Documents required

  • Proof of identity of all persons to be registered:
    • Identity card and, if available, passport
    • if necessary, provisional identity card or passport substitute
  • Children (up to the age of 18):
    • if you have an ID card and/or passport, otherwise your birth certificate
  • When moving into a rental property: confirmation from the landlord.
  • When moving into residential property: notarized purchase contract or extract from the land register.
  • For supervised persons: written power of attorney or supervisor ID
  • If represented by another person: written authorization and identification documents of the person to be registered
  • When moving from abroad: last residential address in Germany (confirmation of registration, date of moving in and out)
  • For spouses, life partners and family members with the same immigration data: immigration date and previous and current residences.
  • When moving from outside:
    • Married/partnered:
      • Original marriage certificate
      • Proof of identity of both spouses, unless they live apart
    • divorced:
      • legally binding divorce decree in the original
    • widowed:
      • original death certificate
    • Unmarried and shared apartments:
      • Presentation of the identity cards of all persons as well as additional written authorizations of the persons who are not present
    • Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT)
      • the residence permit

Please note

  • The secondary residence must be registered in the municipality in which the secondary residence is located.
  • The tax office levies a secondary residence tax for the use of a secondary residence in Hamburg.
  • The personal presence of children under the age of 18 is not required.
  • A registration of minors without both legal guardians must always be clarified in advance by telephone with the residents' customer service center.
  • When moving within the house, a re-registration is also required.
  • Late registrations can be punished with a fine.


You must register your new secondary residence within 2 weeks of moving into the apartment.

Procedure & Fees


  • You appear in person at the registration office responsible for you or you can be represented by a person with power of attorney.
  • You fill out the registration form and sign it (except in the case of an automated registration form).
  • You submit all the required documents.
  • Finally, you will receive an official registration confirmation from the registration office about the registration of your new secondary residence.
To register your place of residence electronically, call up the online service and log in to the online service with your user account. The further procedure is described there.

Processing time

The processing time is usually 12 minutes.

Online: The processing time is about 5 minutes.


  • EUR 12.00 per adult or person under the age of 18 who auditions alone.

  • EUR 12.00 per family (parents including underage children with the same arrival dates).

  • EUR 12.00 for a married couple (without children with the same arrival dates).

Legal notes

Legal basis

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit