Register your residence as a secondary residence

If you move into another apartment in Germany in addition to your main residence, you must register this as a secondary residence with your responsible registration office within 2 weeks of moving in.

Important notes


  • In addition to your main residence, you have moved into another residence in Germany.

Documents required

  • Proof of identity for all persons to be registered:
    • Identity card and, if available, passport
    • If necessary, temporary identity card or passport replacement
  • Children (up to their 18th birthday):
    • If you have ID and/or passport, otherwise birth certificate
  • When moving into a rental property: Confirmation of accommodation provider.
  • When moving into residential property: notarized purchase contract or land register extract.
  • For people being cared for: written power of attorney or carer ID card
  • If represented by another person: written power of attorney and identification documents of the person to be registered
  • If moving from abroad: last residential address in Germany (registration confirmation, day of moving in and out)
  • For spouses, life partners and family members with the same immigration dates: date of immigration and previous and current residences.
  • When moving from outside:
    • Married/partnered people:
      • Original marriage certificate
      • Proof of identity for both spouses if they do not live separately
    • Divorced:
      • Final divorce decree in the original
    • Widowed:
      • original death certificate
    • Unmarried and shared apartments:
      • Presentation of IDs for all persons as well as additional written authorizations for persons not present
    • Holder of an electronic residence permit (eAT)
      • the residence permit

Please note

  • The secondary residence must be registered in the municipality in which the secondary residence is located.
  • The tax office levies a secondary residence tax for the use of a secondary residence in Hamburg.
  • The personal presence of children under the age of 18 is not required.
  • Registration of minors without both legal guardians must always be clarified in advance by telephone with Hamburg Service.
  • When moving within the house, a re-registration is also required.
  • Late registrations can be punished with a fine.
  • From the age of 16 you can register without the consent of the legal guardians.


You must register your new secondary residence within 2 weeks of moving into the apartment.

Procedure & Fees


  • You appear in person at the registration office responsible for you or you can be represented by a person with power of attorney.
  • You fill out the registration form and sign it (except in the case of an automated registration form).
  • You submit all the required documents.
  • Finally, you will receive an official registration confirmation from the registration office about the registration of your new secondary residence.
To register your place of residence electronically, call up the online service and log in to the online service with your user account. The further procedure is described there.

Processing time

The processing time is usually 12 minutes.

Online: The processing time is about 5 minutes.


  • 13.00 EUR per adult or person under 18 years of age who appears alone.

  • 13.00 EUR per family (parents including minor children with the same arrival date).

  • 13.00 EUR for a married couple (without children with the same moving date).

Legal notes

Legal remedies

  • contradiction

  • legal challenge

  • obligation action

Legal basis

Service description

If you move into another apartment in Germany in addition to your main residence, you must register this as a secondary residence with the responsible registration authority within 2 weeks of moving in.

If you are under 16 years old, your new secondary residence must be registered by the person whose apartment you are moving into.

If you are over 18 years old and guardianship or care has been appointed for you that affects your right to determine your place of residence, then your new secondary residence must be registered by this person.

You only need to register newborns born in Germany if they move into an apartment other than that of their parents.

You, or a person authorized by you, must personally visit the registration authority responsible for you to register your new secondary residence.

If you move into a new secondary apartment within Hamburg, you can also register it online under certain conditions.

Choose one of 22 facilities ...

Enlarge map

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit