Register your residence as your main residence

If you are moving into a new main residence, you must register with the registration office responsible for you at your new place of residence within two weeks of moving in. The main residence is: If you are married or in a civil...

If you are moving into a new main residence, you must register with the registration office responsible for you at your new place of residence within two weeks of moving in.
The main residence is:

  • If you are married or in a civil partnership: the apartment you both use most. This also applies if you only live separately temporarily.
  • If you are married or in a civil partnership and permanently living apart: Your main residence.
  • If you are a minor: the home your parents or foster parents primarily use. If they live separately, the main residence is the residence in which you mainly live.
  • If you cannot be certain of the apartment you primarily use: your apartment, where you have your main focus of life.
  • If you have several apartments in Germany, yours is the apartment you use most of the time.
If you are under the age of 16, your new main residence must be registered by the person whose apartment you are moving into.

If you are over 18 and have a guardian or guardian appointed to determine your whereabouts, then your new primary residence must be registered by your guardian or guardian.

You only have to register newborns who were born in Germany if they move into a different apartment than that of their parents or mother.

To register your new main residence, you must come to the registration office responsible for you in person, or you must have someone authorized by you.

If you have moved within Hamburg, you can also register your new main residence online under certain conditions.

Important notes


  • You have moved into a new main residence in Germany.
For electronic residence registration:
  • You have moved within Hamburg.
  • You are of legal age.
  • You are not married and you are not in a registered civil partnership.
  • You move into your new apartment without any minor children.
  • You have a valid identity card or a valid eID card with an activated online ID function and a personal identification number (PIN).
  • You have an NFC-enabled smartphone or a USB card reader.
  • You have installed AusweisApp2 on your smartphone.
  • You have a Hamburg service account

Documents required

  • Completed registration form (except in the case of an automated registration form).
  • At least one proof of identity:
    • identity card
    • Provisional identity card
    • Replacement ID card
    • Recognized and valid passport
    • Recognized and valid passport replacement paper
  • When moving into a rental property: landlord confirmation or corresponding allocation feature.
  • When moving into residential property: notarized purchase contract or extract from the land register.
  • For supervised persons: written power of attorney or supervisor ID
  • If represented by another person: written authorization and identification documents of the person to be registered
  • When moving from abroad: last residential address in Germany (confirmation of registration, date of moving in and out)
  • For spouses, life partners and family members with the same immigration data: immigration date and previous and current residences.
  • The competent authority may request the submission of further documents that serve to prove the information (for example: marriage certificate, birth certificate).

Please note

  • If you are staying in Hamburg for more than 6 months from within Germany or 3 months from abroad, you must also register.
  • A registration of minors (up to the age of 16) without both legal guardians must always be clarified in advance by telephone with the resident customer center. If a minor resident who has previously lived with both parents in a main residence is transferred to a new main residence by one of the parents, the consent of the other parent, a written agreement between the parents on the child's center of life or a family court decision on the transfer of the the sole right of residence determination must be presented. The same applies if the minor resident's sole or main residence is to be re-registered from the home of one parent to the home of the other parent.
  • From the age of 16 you can register without the consent of the guardian.
  • Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT) must also have the address on the residence permit changed.
  • If you own a car, the address on the registration certificate Part I (formerly a vehicle registration document) must be changed at the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (see link).
  • A dog must also be registered (see link).
  • In the case of newborns, the data of the newborn child is automatically transmitted from the registry office to the register of residents when the birth is certified. A separate registration of newborns in the population register is not required.
  • It is not necessary to de-register in the previous municipality.


You must register your new place of residence within 2 weeks of moving into the new apartment.

Procedure & Fees


  • You appear in person at the registration office responsible for you or you can be represented by a person with power of attorney.
  • You fill out the registration form and sign it (except in the case of an automated registration form).
  • You submit all the required documents.
  • Finally, you will receive an official registration confirmation from the registration office about the registration of your main residence.
For electronic residence registration:
  • You call up the online service.
  • You log in to the online service with your user account.
  • You enter all the required data online and submit the form online.
  • You will receive a code in the post at the address of your new main residence.
  • You confirm moving into your new main residence by entering the code in the online service.
  • You will then receive your electronic registration confirmation.

Processing time

The processing time is usually 12 minutes.

Online: The processing time is about 5 minutes


EUR 12 per adult or person under the age of 18 who auditions alone. EUR 12 per family (parents including minor children with the same arrival dates). 12 EUR a married couple (without children with the same migration dates).

Legal notes

Legal basis

Choose one of 24 facilities ...

Enlarge map
Bergedorf district office
Residential department

Weidenbaumsweg 21

+49 40 42891-2891

Add to addressbook

District Office Altona
Specialist Office for Residents

Ottenser Marktplatz 10

+49 40 42811-3636

Add to addressbook

District Office Hamburg-Nord
Specialized Office for Residents

Poppenhusenstraße 6

+49 40 42804-5252

Add to addressbook

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit