Hamburg Chamber of Commerce, Service Center

Apply for exemption from the license requirement as an insurance intermediary

If you would like to work as an independent product-related insurance broker, you can be exempted from the license requirement for insurance brokers.

Important notes


  • You broker the insurance only as a supplement to other products or services (accessories)
    • Example: A car dealer also brokers car insurance when selling cars
  • You carry out your work:
    • on behalf of one or more insurance intermediaries with permission or
    • on behalf of one or more insurance companies
  • Your client makes a statement about:
    • your personal reliability,
    • your qualifications and
    • Your orderly financial situation
  • You have taken out professional liability insurance with the applicable sums insured.

Documents required

  • Declaration from the client, i.e. the insurance company or the senior intermediary, about your personal reliability, your qualifications and your orderly financial circumstances
  • Confirmation of professional liability insurance
For legal entities, you only need to fill out the application form for the legal entity itself.
Partnerships are not permitted as such. Therefore, every managing partner requires an exemption from the permit. You will need a completed application form for each of these people. Attention: Your Chamber of Industry and Commerce may request additional documents for verification. Some of the documents submitted may not exceed an expiration period at the time of the decision (not just at the time of submission). Inquire about this at your IHK.

Please note

For application and required attachments see also form center - Hamburg Chamber of Commerce (



Note: You may not start the activity until you have received the exemption.

Procedure & Fees


You can apply for a permit exemption in writing:

  • Download the application form from the website of your local IHK. Fill this out completely.
  • Then send it with the required documents to your responsible IHK.
  • As soon as you have provided all the information and the documents are complete, the IHK will make a decision on your application.
  • After a positive check, you will receive the exemption from the permit and, if necessary, will be entered in the register of insurance brokers.
  • The granted exemption from permission is valid indefinitely. It ends only when you renounce it. Under certain conditions, the IHK can revoke or withdraw the exemption from a permit and have you deleted from the register of intermediaries.
Note: As a rule, your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce also offers an online procedure.

Processing time

Different depending on the IHK.


The fees for the license exemption for product-related insurance intermediaries and for registration in the insurance intermediary register vary depending on the IHK.

The fees for Hamburg are based on the fee schedule of the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce. The fee for the permit procedure at the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce is currently €150.00 (as of early 2022).

Legal notes

Legal remedies

Objection and administrative court.

Legal basis

Designation: § 34d paragraph 6 trade regulations (GewO)


Service description

As a self-employed insurance broker, you generally need a permit. Your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) is responsible for this. However, as a so-called product-related insurance intermediary, you can be exempted from the permit requirement. To do this, you must submit an application to your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce.
You are a product-related insurance broker if you broker product-related insurance in addition to your main activity. This means that the risk for which you arrange insurance must arise directly from the product or service.
Example of such product-supplementing insurance brokerage:

  • Arranging car insurance in connection with a car sale.
  • Mediation of life insurance as security when concluding a loan agreement.
  • The mediation of transport insurance in connection with delivery services.
You must also be entered in the insurance broker register. With the application for exemption from a permit, you can also submit an application for entry in the register of intermediaries.
Special features for insurance intermediaries with a main office in another EU/EEA country:
If you have an establishment in another member state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), you must register in that country. You do not need a license exemption in Germany, nor can you be entered in the German register of insurance brokers.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Hamburg Chamber of Commerce, Service Center
Adolphsplatz 1 20457 Hamburg

Send email

Opening hours

Mon-Thu 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Fri 10 a.m.-3 p.m. (by phone: Mon-Fri 9 a.m.-2 p.m.).

Facility info

Mensch in einem Rollstuhl Accessible

Public transport

U3 / buses X3 / X35 / 3/4/5/6/16/17/19/31/37 town hall

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit