Online-Service available

Hamburg-Barmbek-Uhlenhorst tax office

Tax class change after the death of the spouse or a domestic partner

If your spouse or partner dies, you will generally be assigned to tax class III in the year of death and in the following year.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Hamburg-Barmbek-Uhlenhorst tax office
Hamburger Straße 23 22083 Hamburg

Add to addressbook



Opening hours

Mon - Tue 8 a.m. - 2 p.m., Thurs 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., closed on Wednesdays and Fridays

The IAS Barmbek-Uhlenhorst is currently still closed to the public.

All other regional tax offices: Mon 8 a.m. - 2 p.m., Tue 7 a.m. - 2 p.m., Thurs 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Wed and Fri closed
When visiting the tax office, an FFP2 mask is required . Please also remember to keep a minimum distance of 1.5 meters.

Facility info

Mensch in einem Rollstuhl Accessible

Postfach 76 03 60, 22053 Hamburg. Den Zugang zum Finanzamt sowie einen Briefkasten finden Sie im 1. Stock des Einkaufszentrums Hamburger Meile (früher: EKZ Hamburger Straße).Der Nachtbriefkasten des Finanzamts ist nunmehr an der Ecke Humboldtstraße/Center-Anlieferstraße (wenige Meter neben der Parkhaus-Einfahrt).Den Briefkasten im 1. OG des Einkaufszentrums können Sie während der Öffnungszeiten des Centers selbstverständlich weiterhin benutzen.

Public transport

U3 / buses 25/37/172/173 Mundsburg

Important notes


If you and your deceased spouse or partner were not permanently separated at the time of death, you will automatically be classified in tax class III.

Documents required

  • None for tax class III
  • For tax class II "Application for income tax reduction"

Please note

  • Hamburg citizens can contact any regional tax office in Hamburg for ELStAM matters.
  • The registration offices are responsible for changing the civil status data in the register (e.g. marriage, birth).



Procedure & Fees


In principle, you do not need to take any action in order to receive tax class III after the death of your spouse or partner.

If you wish to be classified in tax class II, you can apply for this at your responsible tax office so that the relief amount for single parents can already be taken into account in the wage tax deduction procedure.



Legal notes

Service description

If your spouse dies, your tax class will automatically be switched to tax class III from the first of the month following the day of your death.

In the following year, you will also remain in tax class III.

From the beginning of the second calendar year after the death of your spouse or life partner, tax class I will be created for you by program.

There will be no change to tax class III after the death of your spouse or partner if, for example, you were permanently separated at the time of death.

Instead of tax class III, you can also consider tax class II, which may be more favorable, if you are entitled to the relief amount for single parents. You can apply for tax class II at your responsible tax office (see further information).

A notice:
Since the law introducing the right to marry for persons of the same sex came into force on October 1, 2017
no new civil partnerships can be established in Germany.

Same-sex couples have been able to marry each other since then and are therefore treated as equal to different-sex couples.

Existing civil partnerships can be converted into a marriage. However, there is no obligation to do so. Already existing civil partnerships can be continued in their previous form.

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit