Apply for an identity card because of a name change upon marriage

You got married and therefore changed your name? Then you need to apply for a new identity card if you do not have a valid passport document with the new name. If your children's surnames have changed, their documents with the old names are also invalid.

Important notes


The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you

  • have German citizenship,
  • have reached the age of 16,
  • are registered in Germany,
  • do not have a valid passport or temporary passport with the new name.
For the application outside of your main place of residence:
  • You must be able to demonstrate an important reason why you are not applying for an identity card from the identity card authority responsible for your main place of residence.
If you are registered in Hamburg with a secondary residence, the approval of the identity card authority at the place of your main residence is required for the issuance of the ID document. When applying, a non-responsibility surcharge applies, which means that the costs of the issuance increase.

Documents required

  • current passport photo, which must meet the photo requirements for electronic identity cards.
    The requirements for the passport photo can be found on the photo sample table (see link “Federal Ministry of the Interior and Home Affairs - Photo sample table”, at the bottom of this page under “Forms, Service & Links”).

    A photo booth (speed capture terminal) is available. The fee for a photo on site is EUR 6.00. You will not receive a printout. Please note that the existing photo booth is not suitable for taking passport photos of babies and small children.
  • in case of early application (at the earliest 8 weeks before the marriage in connection with a trip abroad that takes place immediately after the marriage):
    • valid identity card, passport, temporary passport or temporary identity card
    • Registration of marriage with the resulting name after marriage
    • Proof of planned trip abroad
  • when applying after marriage with name change:
    • if available: a valid passport or temporary passport with the new name
    • If there is no valid passport document with the new name: marriage certificate or certified extract from the marriage or civil partnership register or certificate of name use
  • for children under 16 years of age: if applicable, consent of the parent with custody who is not present
    • If there is only one legal guardian, proof of custody is also required

Please note

There are the following hints:

  • An extension or change of the identity card is not possible. A new identity card is always issued.
  • In urgent cases, you can also apply for a temporary identity card (valid for a maximum of 3 months) at the same time. This will be given to you immediately.
  • People without a permanent address or the homeless should contact the Hamburg Service Hamburg-Mitte.


You must apply for the new identity card immediately after marriage if there has been a change of name and you do not have a valid passport or temporary passport with the new name.

The period of validity of the identity card depends on the age at the time of application:

  • Persons under 24 years: 6 years

  • People over 24 years: 10 years

Procedure & Fees


In the case of a marriage with a change of name, proceed as follows to apply for the new identity card:
You must apply for the identity card in person at the Hamburg Service. If you do not apply for your identity card at your main place of residence, you need an important reason and a surcharge will be added to the fee. If you contact the Citizens' Registration Office you have selected beforehand, you can find out whether and to what extent this Citizens' Registration Office recognizes your reason.

  • You can make an appointment online or by phone.
  • When you apply, your customer center will inform you when you can pick up your ID card.
  • Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
  • You can arrange a pick-up appointment at Hamburg Service online or by telephone, in which you applied for the identity card.
  • When applying, fingerprints are taken for storage in the document.
  • If you apply early, you will only receive the new identity card after the marriage or after the name declaration has been received by the responsible registry office. Before the ID card is handed over, the Hamburg Service will check the name on the basis of it
    • the marriage certificate
    • the certified copy of the marriage register or
    • the certificate of naming.

Processing time

The application usually takes about 15 minutes.

The processing time is usually around 3-4 weeks.


  • EUR 37.00 for applicants aged 24 and over

  • EUR 22.80 for applicants under the age of 24

  • EUR 10.00 for the provisional identity card

  • EUR 13.00 surcharge when applying outside of working hours or not at the main residence

  • EUR 30.00 surcharge for issue by consular or diplomatic representation abroad

Fee reductions or waivers are available for those in need. This is at the discretion of the ID card authority.

Legal notes

Legal remedies


Legal basis

Service description

After a name change, your identity card is no longer valid. If your surname has changed, for example after marriage or the establishment of a civil partnership, you must apply for a new ID card. The same applies to your children if their names also change with the marriage.
There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or provisional passport, with the new name, you do not have to apply for a new identity card.
The period of validity depends on your age at the time of application:

  • under 24 years: identity card is valid for 6 years.
  • 24 years and older: ID card is valid for 10 years.
  • A provisional identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
You can submit the application to your identity card authority at your main place of residence, which is usually any Hamburg service. Applications can be submitted to any other identity card authority outside of Hamburg if an important reason is given. In this case, a non-responsibility surcharge applies, which means that the costs of the issuance increase.

If you need your new ID card immediately after the marriage with a change of name, for example for a trip abroad, you can apply for your ID card with the new name no earlier than 8 weeks before the planned date of the marriage. As an exception, the customer center will enter the day of the planned marriage as the date of issue. The new identity card may only be handed over after the marriage or after the receipt of the name declaration at the competent registry office. Before the identity card is issued, the name must be checked against the marriage certificate or the certified printout of the marriage register or the certificate of the name.

When you apply, Hamburg Service will point out that in all cases in which the marriage date given at the time of the application is subsequently postponed to a later date and the issue date of the identity card with the new family name is before the new marriage date, the identity card is invalid. It must not be handed over. You may have to apply for a new ID card for a fee.

Choose one of 23 facilities ...

Enlarge map

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit