Lawyers from other member states of the European Union can be admitted as members of the chamber upon request in accordance with the provisions of the 'Law on European Lawyers (EuRAG)'. These lawyers appear in Germany under the professional title of their country of origin
, but have the same rights as German lawyers. Like German lawyers, you will be sworn in and receive a certificate of admission. The prerequisite is that the respective lawyer is registered as a European lawyer with the competent authority in his country of origin.
In addition, lawyers / other lawyers from other member states of the European Union have the option of applying to the Bar Association to be admitted as (German) lawyers. The prerequisite for this is that the applicant has either effectively and regularly worked as a resident European lawyer in Germany for at least three years and proves his knowledge of German law (Section 4 No. 2 BRAO, Sections 11 et seq. EuRAG (so-called integration)). Or he must provide evidence that his professional qualification meets the requirements that are necessary for the recognition of the profession of lawyer in Germany (§§ 16 ff. EuRAG) and can then apply for recognition as a lawyer (§ 4 No. 3 BRAO, Section 16a (5) of the EuRAG). There are no special application forms from the Hanseatic Bar Association for admission within the framework of integration.
For admission to the Hamburg Bar Association, a European lawyer must submit the following documents:
- Completed membership application (see "Links" section)
- Curriculum vitae in German with a current photo
- Certificate from the competent authority in the country of origin confirming membership of the European lawyer profession there, which is not older than three months, together with a certified translation (in accordance with Section 3 (2) EuRAG)
- Proof of the conclusion of professional liability insurance according to § 6 EurAG, § 51 BRAO or § 7 Abs. 1 EuRAG (original)
- if applicable : officially or publicly certified copy of the doctoral certificate or further evidence of the acquisition of academic degrees
The application for membership must be submitted to the Hanseatic Bar Association Hamburg (contact details, see below) if the location of the German branch is Hamburg. The most important document is the application for membership (see "Links" section).