Hamburg police

Apply for a shooting permit

If you want to shoot with a firearm that requires a license or does not require a license, you must generally apply for a license beforehand. In particular, hunters when practicing hunting and sport shooters when shooting at approved shooting ranges are...

If you want to shoot with a firearm that requires a license or does not require a license, you must generally apply for a license beforehand. In particular, hunters when practicing hunting and sport shooters when shooting at approved shooting ranges are exempt.

Important notes


  • You must have a valid permit to purchase and possess a weapon (e.g. hunting license or weapon ownership card).
  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • You must prove that it is necessary for you to shoot a weapon (need).
  • You must provide a credible reason to the responsible weapons authority. A credible reason is usually recognized if you
    • want to shoot animals in a (game) enclosure for (game) meat production;
    • are fruit or wine growers or operate a fish farm and want to drive away (scare away) harmful birds;
    • are veterinarians.
You can also indicate other needs, which will then be examined by the relevant authority.
  • You must prove your reliability under firearms law.
    The granting of a shooting permit requires your reliability. You can be considered unreliable under gun law, among other things:
    • if you have been legally sentenced to a prison sentence of at least 1 year within the last 10 years and have been a member of or supported a banned organization in the last 10 years.
    • If you are likely to misuse or handle weapons or ammunition improperly, do not store these items carefully or leave them to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if in the last 5 years you have been in preventive police custody more than once with court approval for violence.
    • if you have repeatedly or grossly violated gun laws.
  • You must prove your personal suitability.
    You can be considered personally unsuitable, among other things, if:
    • you are incapacitated.
    • You are addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or debilitated.
    • You suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • It can be assumed that you do not handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or are unable to store these items carefully or that there is a real risk that you will endanger others or yourself.
  • You must have taken out liability insurance that covers personal injury and property damage at a flat rate of 1 million euros.

Documents required

  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Weapon ownership card or hunting license
  • Evidence of a need
    • For example, an assignment from an enclosure operator, work as a wine/fruit grower
    • Licensed as a veterinarian
  • Proof of liability insurance in the amount of 1 million euros (flat rate for personal injury and property damage)

Please note

To fill out the application more quickly, you can use the NWR identification numbers (NWR-ID):

  • Your PersonalNWR-ID (P- or F-NWR-ID) for your personal information
  • the permit NWR-ID for the weapons law permit (E-NWR-ID)
  • the weapon or weapon part NWR ID (W or T NWR ID)
You will receive the NWR IDs upon request from the responsible weapons authority.

Procedure & Fees


You must apply for permission to shoot from the relevant weapons authority. Submit the application along with the required documents.

The weapons authority will grant you permission if you meet the necessary requirements.

Legal notes

Legal basis

§ 4 Weapons Act (WaffG)

§ 10 paragraph 5 Weapons Act (WaffG)

§ 12 paragraph 4 Weapons Act (WaffG)

Service description

You can apply for a permit for a single shooting or a permanent permit.
Generally speaking, firearms are items intended for offense or defense, signaling, hunting, distance injection, marking, sport or gaming and in which projectiles are propelled through a barrel.
It is recommended that you find out more about the gun law regulations before submitting your application.
If possible, you must indicate in the application where you want to shoot, for example address, district. If you shoot on behalf of an enclosure operator, you must present their permission/order and, if necessary, provide further information about the enclosure operator.
You do not need a permit to shoot a weapon if you

  • want to shoot at a shooting range, for example at your shooting club;
  • As a hunter, you want to shoot during authorized hunting or want to shoot animals that are subject to nature conservation law and have the relevant permission from the nature conservation authority;
  • want to shoot as a customary shooter at an event where it is customary to carry weapons for a special occasion and the head of the customary shooting association has been granted a valid exemption in accordance with Section 16 Paragraph 3 of the Weapons Act;
  • want to shoot with a long gun at shooting ranges at an approved sporting event, for example a biathlon competition;
  • Weapons that can only fire cartridge ammunition are intended to be used during a theater performance or the like or to scare away harmful birds;
  • want to shoot with compressed air, spring-loaded weapons and CO2 weapons with less than 7.5 joules, which are marked with an “F” symbol, in fenced areas, for example for paintball activities, with the consent of the owner of the property rights;
  • at sporting events on behalf of the organizers want to use blank guns or signaling weapons to signal the start or start of a competition, provided such signaling is necessary;
  • Fire signal weapons during emergency and rescue exercises if this is part of the exercise.
You may be denied a shooting permit if you have not lived in Germany within the last 5 years.
To obtain the shooting permit, you must
  • have the appropriate age and
  • your need,
  • Your reliability under firearms law,
  • your personal suitability,
  • Liability insurance covering personal injury and property damage in the amount of 1 million euros

If you handle weapons and ammunition without a firearms license, this can constitute a criminal offence.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information

Opening hours

Mon 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tue 7 a.m. to 12 p.m., Thu 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Facility info

Due to many telephone inquiries, we are sometimes difficult to reach by telephone.

All firearms and hunting law matters can also be handled in writing
to be edited. Applications as well as hunting and weapons law documents can be sent by post,
Email or by putting it in your home mailbox.

Due to the current situation, processing at the hunting and weapons authority may take several months.
We ask for your patience and will get back to you without being asked.

Public transport

S3 / S31 / Busse 25/112 Hammerbrook / City Süd, 25/112/154/160 Süderstraße

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit