Authority for the Environment, Climate, Energy and Agriculture

Apply for approval for interventions in nature and landscape

If you want to carry out a project that changes the use or shape of the surrounding area and that can significantly affect the natural environment or the landscape, you usually need an intervention permit.

Important notes


When carrying out your intervention, you must keep the resulting disruption to the natural environment and the landscape as low as possible.

Depending on the situation, you must either compensate for unavoidable impairments through nature conservation and landscape management measures or equivalently compensate for them through substitute measures.

A nature conservation permit may be necessary for the following outdoor projects, for example:

  • Driving silo
  • Fence, enclosure
  • structures or buildings
  • Unpaved agricultural or forestry storage areas or storage areas
  • Surface sealing or surface paving

Documents required

Which documents and information are necessary differs from case to case. You should submit a simple, informal application with a map section with location markers and a simple sketch plan. The responsible authority will check whether a nature conservation permit is required for the project and will then request additional specific documents from you if necessary.

Please note

The authorization for intervention must be available to you and be legally binding before you begin the actual project.

In addition to the intervention permit, further nature conservation approvals may be required (e.g. species protection, biotope protection, fauna-flora-habitat protection or bird protection, protected area regulations).

Special, relaxed regulations apply to development plans and unplanned interior areas.



Procedure & Fees


  • You submit a written, informal application
  • Investigation of the facts and notification by the responsible authority

Processing time

The processing time depends on the complexity of the project. However, you can expect several months of processing time.


Official acts under nature conservation law are generally subject to a fee. The amount of permission to intervene depends on the individual case.

Service description

If you want to carry out a project that affects nature or the landscape, you may need an intervention permit under certain circumstances. This can be the case, for example, in a construction project. The intervention permit is usually issued to you together with the building permit or planning permit. Only in special exceptional cases do you have to apply for permission to intervene separately from the responsible authority.

You need a separate intervention permit if you want to carry out a project

  • that is not within the scope of a development plan and
  • through which the use or shape of the environment is changed and
  • which can significantly affect the natural environment or the landscape

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Authority for the Environment, Climate, Energy and Agriculture
Nature Conservation
Neuenfelder Straße 19 21109 Hamburg

Facility info

Mensch in einem Rollstuhl Accessible

We have a limited number of customer parking spaces. To reserve a parking space, please contact our receptionist by e-mail at or by telephone on +49 40 428 40 - 50 50. Our working hours are: Monday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m , Friday from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Public transport

S3/S31 Wilhelmsburg, Bus 13/151/152/154/156//155/252 Inselpark

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit