Authority for Justice and Consumer Protection

Apply for a permit for non-commercial purchase according to explosives law

As a private individual, you would like to handle explosive substances such as black powder, nitrocellulose powder or fireworks. Then you have to observe the Explosives Act (SprengG) and need an official permit.

Important notes


In order to obtain a permit for the non-commercial purchase and handling of explosive substances, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be 21 years of age or older.
  • You must have a professional qualification. The specialist knowledge is proven by a certificate, which certifies the successful participation in a state or state-recognized course.
  • You must be reliable. The required reliability is usually given if you have previously behaved law-abiding and have no criminal record.
  • You must be personally suitable. You are personally suitable if you do not have any restrictions, for example in your mental or physical health or are dependent on drugs or alcohol.
  • You must be able to demonstrate a need.
  • You must have suitable rooms or storage facilities for storage

Documents required

  • Valid identity card or passport
  • Proof of specialist knowledge or proven competent person (holder of a certificate of competence)
  • Proof of need (does not apply to permission to handle pyrotechnic objects)
  • Proof of liability insurance when handling category F3 and F4 fireworks
  • Description of the intended storage (e.g. technical documentation, photographic evidence, storage plan)
  • To check the reliability of people from abroad: You need a certificate in a certified translation from the responsible judicial or administrative authority in your home country or country of origin about certain facts that are important for assessing your reliability (e.g. extract from the criminal record).

Please note



Deadlines for subsequent submissions/responses are set by the competent authority.

Procedure & Fees


  • You fill out the relevant application form in full or submit the application online and send it to the Office for Occupational Safety and Health, including the documents listed in the application.
  • If the documents or information required for processing are incomplete, you will be contacted by the administrative department.
  • If the requirements for granting a permit are met or not met, you will receive a permit or rejection notice.
  • The decision will be sent to you by e-mail or by post.
  • The notice of fees will usually be sent to you later.
  • Once the permit has been obtained, you may only handle or deal with explosive substances.

Processing time

Usually 4 weeks.


The granting or refusal of a permit is subject to a fee. The fees are calculated according to the time spent in accordance with § 2 of the fee schedule.

Legal notes

Service description

If you want to handle explosive substances in a non-commercial, i.e. private, area, you need a permit according to § 27 SprengG (colloquially also called powder license, gun license or fireworks license).
The permit can be subject to conditions, insofar as these are necessary to prevent danger, disadvantage or harassment for third parties.
You can apply for permission from the competent authority - in Hamburg at the Office for Occupational Safety and Health.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Authority for Justice and Consumer Protection
Billstraße 80 20539 Hamburg

Opening hours

Mon-Wed 10am-1pm, Thurs 10am-1pm, 2pm-4pm, Fri 10am-1pm, telephone advice only

Facility info

Public transport

S2 / S21 Rothenburgsort, buses 120/122/124/130/160/224/530 Rothenburgsort

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit