Hamburg police

Apply for a green gun ownership card for an individual

If you want to purchase and possess weapons and/or ammunition that require a permit, you must apply for a permit from the responsible weapons authority.

Important notes


You must be at least 18 years old.

  • This applies to sport shooters
    • a minimum age of 18 years when purchasing
      • Firearms up to a caliber of 5.6 mm lfB (.22 lr) for rimfire ammunition, if the muzzle energy of the projectiles is not more than 200 joules, and
      • Single-loading long guns with smooth barrels of caliber 12 or smaller, provided that sporting shooting with such weapons is permitted by the approved sports regulations of a shooting sports association (Section 14 Paragraph 1 Sentence 2 WaffG);
    • a minimum age of 21 for other (large-caliber) firearms.

If you are under 25 years old, the responsible weapons authority will ask you to submit a specialist medical or psychological report/certificate about your mental suitability. You must pay for the report/certificate yourself and send the original by post to the responsible weapons authority.
The obligation to submit a report/certificate of mental suitability does not apply to hunters or sport shooters who only want to purchase the weapons listed in Section 14 Paragraph 1 Sentence 2 of the Weapons Act.

  • You must prove that you have a particularly recognized personal or economic interest in it. To acquire and possess weapons and ammunition (need) in accordance with Section 8 of the Weapons Act.
  • They must be reliable under weapons law in accordance with Section 5 of the Weapons Act.
  • You must be personally suitable in accordance with Section 6 of the Weapons Act.
  • You must prove that you have sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expertise) in accordance with Section 7 of the Weapons Act.

You must demonstrate that you can store weapons and ammunition safely. Please refer to Section 36 of the Weapons Act for the requirements

Documents required

  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Certificate from the shooting sports association, hunting license, proof of danger or proof of another need to own a weapon
  • Proof of expertise
  • Proof of storage, for example purchase agreement for a gun safe and/or photos of the gun safe and location
  • If necessary, a specialist medical or psychological certificate about your mental suitability (if under 25 years of age)

Please note

Due to many telephone inquiries, we are sometimes difficult to reach by telephone.

All firearms and hunting law matters can also be handled in writing
to be edited. Applications as well as hunting and weapons law documents can be sent by post,
Email or by putting it in your home mailbox.

Due to the current situation, processing at the hunting and weapons authority may take several months.
We ask for your patience and will get back to you without being asked.

Procedure & Fees


You must apply for the green weapon ownership card from the responsible weapons authority. Submit the application along with the required documents.

The weapons authority issues the green weapon ownership card if you meet the necessary requirements.

Downloads & Links

Service description

You must always apply for the green weapon ownership card if you want to purchase a weapon that requires a license (e.g. by purchasing it from a dealer) and cannot meet the special requirements for issuing a yellow or red weapon ownership card (see “Related topics”). If you meet all application requirements, you will be issued with the green firearm ownership card and a purchase permit (a so-called preliminary entry) will be entered into it. If you already have a gun ownership card, you can register additional guns there. You will receive permission to purchase a weapon for a period of one year; permission to own a weapon is usually granted for an unlimited period.
As a rule, sport shooters are only allowed to purchase two weapons within six months.
If you as a hunter have already purchased a long gun that requires a permit, you must report the purchase within 14 days and, if you do not yet have a gun ownership card, apply for one to be issued. If you already have a gun ownership card, you must apply for the purchased weapon to be entered in the gun ownership card when you report the purchase (see “Related Topics”).
It is recommended that you find out more about the gun law regulations before submitting your application.

To get a green gun ownership card, you must

  • have the appropriate age and
  • Demonstrate your need
  • the reliability of weapons law and
  • have personal suitability,
  • Your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition as well
  • the safe storage of weapons and ammunition


Enlarge map

Address and contact information

Facility info

Public transport

U- / S- / R-Bahn / Busses Hauptbahnhof

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit