Online-Service available

Environment, Climate, Energy and Agriculture Authority

Apply for exemption from the obligation to provide proof and register maintenance for those involved in waste management

If you dispose of waste or are involved in disposal processes for which you have to keep evidence and a register, you can apply to the responsible authority for an exemption from this obligation to provide evidence or register.

Important notes


You can only receive the exemption if, despite the exemption, there is no fear of an impairment of the public welfare. In this context, the authority also takes into account that there is a particularly strong public interest in keeping records and registers as standardized as possible and therefore free of exceptions.

Documents required

Application and detailed justification as to why an exemption should be granted in the specific individual case.

Please note

Whether an exemption from proof and registration requirements can be granted is a discretionary decision by the responsible authority.


No. However, you need the exemption

  • before you begin the disposal to which the proof or registration obligation relates

  • before you stop keeping the records or registers.

Procedure & Fees


  • You submit the application for exemption to the responsible authority, including all the information necessary to assess the facts.
  • The authority will process your application and decide whether an exemption can be considered.
  • You will be informed of the authority's decision.

Processing time

2 to 8 weeks


100 - 5,000 EUR

Legal notes

Legal remedies

Objection within one month of receipt of the decision

Legal basis

Section 26 Verification Ordinance (NachwV)

Downloads & Links

Links on the Internet

Service description

The proof requirements and registration obligations under the Circular Economy Act (KrWG) aim to document and monitor the proper disposal of waste. With the verification documents and the registers, the companies that generate hazardous waste, as well as the companies involved in the disposal of the waste, demonstrate proper disposal both to each other and to the responsible authorities.

If your company generates, collects, transports or disposes of hazardous waste, you are required to provide evidence. If your company trades or deals in hazardous waste, you must keep a register.

If there is no fear that waste disposal will harm the public welfare, the responsible authority can grant you an exemption from the obligation to provide evidence and keep records. The exemption can be granted to you in whole or in part.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Environment, Climate, Energy and Agriculture Authority
Waste Management
Neuenfelder Straße 19 21109 Hamburg

Facility info

Mensch in einem Rollstuhl Accessible

We have a limited number of customer parking spaces. To reserve a parking space, please contact our receptionist by e-mail at or by telephone on +49 40 428 40 - 50 50. Our working hours are: Monday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m , Friday from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Public transport

S3/S31 Wilhelmsburg, Bus 13/151/152/154/156//155/252 Inselpark

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit