Online-Service available

Training grants Announce change of personal data

If you receive BAföG, you must notify the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) of certain changes to your personal data.

Important notes


You have previously received BAföG or are currently receiving BAföG.
There are changes in the following personal circumstances:

  • Surname
  • Address

Documents required

  • Notice of Changes
    • This must be in writing; there are corresponding application documents.
    • An informal message is also possible.

Please note

You must notify the Office for Educational Support of any changes to your name and address. If your studies and BAföG receipt have already ended, please inform the Federal Office of Administration of your name and change of address.

For students:
The offices for training support in the districts or urban districts are responsible for student support under the BAföG in Germany. For trainees at evening schools, colleges, higher technical schools and academies, the Office for Training Assistance is responsible for the district in which the training center is located. For all other students, the responsibility lies with the Office for Educational Support of the city/district administration at the place of residence of the parents.

For students:
The student unions of the universities at which you have been or will be enrolled are responsible for student support in Germany in accordance with BAföG.

For training abroad:
Depending on the destination country, different central international offices in Germany are responsible for foreign funding under the BAföG, both for students and for school pupils.

On the website https://www.bafö you can search for the Office for Educational Support that is responsible for your funding.

In addition to the text of the law, the website also contains the application forms, information on electronic application submission, the listings of training centers in the federal states for eligible training, a nationwide listing of the offices for training support and example BAföG calculations.

The BAföG hotline can also help you on 0800-223 63 41. It can be reached free of charge from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.


You must announce the change immediately.

Procedure & Fees


  • You can send name changes or your new address to the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) conveniently and easily via the online portal.
  • You have the option of either registering with your e-mail address and then registering via e-mail and password or registering using your ID card with activated online ID function (eiD).
  • If you register by e-mail, you have a change form available, if you register with your eID you can update the data currently stored in the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) yourself.
  • You can submit any applications and other communications online and upload documents during the entire repayment process for both registration options.
  • Registering with your identity card offers you additional services such as daily updated account and file inspection. You can find the full range of services when registering with an ID card and eID on the website of the Federal Office of Administration (BVA).
  • Changes can be communicated to the BAföG office in writing or digitally.

Processing time

The processing time depends on the participation of the applicant.


There are no costs.

Legal notes

Legal basis

Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG)

Service description

You can apply for and receive the training grant (BAföG) from the Office for Training Grants that is responsible for you. However, the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) is responsible for repaying the BAföG loan portion after graduation.

The Offices for Educational Support only transmit your data once to the BVA. An electronic file is created there and your loan account is set up.

You must notify the BVA of any changes to your name or address yourself if you no longer receive BAföG. This can be done in writing or digitally via BAföG Digital via "change notification". The former BAföG office should also be informed of the changes.

  • If you fail to notify the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) after the end of your BAföG receipt, you will have to pay a lump sum of 25 euros for the effort involved in finding out your address.

Address and contact information

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit