Online-Service available


Request a sidewalk crossing change

The sidewalk crossing, also known as a property access road or curb reduction, is used to enable vehicles to easily access a property from the street. Existing sidewalk crossings can be changed.

Important notes


  • You are the owner of the property.
  • Alternatively, you have a power of attorney from the property owner.
  • If you are allowed to take over the production yourself, the commissioned company must be an approved company.
  • The walkway remains consistent in terms of height and appearance.
  • There are no interruptions to the sidewalk as a result of the measure

Documents required

  • main request
    • In written form
  • proof
    • True-to-scale site plan
    • Excerpt from the real estate cadastre
    • Photos of the location
    • Land map (optional)

Please note

  • Only the change is requested, the previous permission to cross a sidewalk is still valid.
  • The sidewalk crossing must not be modified yourself, for example with wooden beams, steel ramps or similar. This is an unauthorized intervention in the street space and this can be punishable.
  • Permission to change a sidewalk crossing does not replace other necessary official permits or result in claims, for example for the construction of a garage or carport.


There is no deadline.

Procedure & Fees


You can apply in writing (by post, email, fax) to change the sidewalk crossing. The sidewalk crossing is changed either by the competent authority or by an approved company. The following procedure must be observed before the change is made:

  • You apply for the change of the pavement crossing with all the necessary documents at the responsible office.
  • As soon as the application is submitted, it is checked whether there are any reasons against making the change.
  • In the case of more extensive measures, you must organize and carry out an on-site appointment in advance together with the responsible authority.
  • After your application has been checked positively, you will receive a notification of approval and can have the sidewalk crossing changed (subject to possible conditions and requirements).
  • You must make an advance payment based on the production costs.
  • After completion of the work, you will receive an invoice for the payment of the remaining production costs, less the advance payment made.
If the responsible authority changes the sidewalk crossing:
  • You do not have to take any further steps to continue the work.
If the pavement crossing is changed by an approved company:
  • The commissioned company must apply for a transport authority order for the measure.
  • After completion of the construction work, you agree on a joint acceptance date with the responsible authority.

Processing time

  • The processing time differs between application processing and changing the sidewalk crossing.

  • Application processing: usually prompt

  • The change of the sidewalk crossing by the competent authority: At least 3 months.


Cost type: variable

Cost (variable): from _50__ up to _800__ euros

Description of the costs: administration fee

Note: The costs are divided into fees and production costs. The fee and the production costs depend on the size and condition of the pavement crossing (possibly also for a replacement tree planting or light pole conversion). Both cost components must be borne by the applicant.

Legal notes

Legal remedies

  • contradiction

  • Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application

  • Complaint before the administrative court

Legal basis

Downloads & Links

Links on the Internet

Service description

Sidewalk crossings, also known as property access roads or curb cuts, are used to enable vehicles to easily reach a property from the street. If you are planning a project that requires curb lowering, you will need a curb crossing permit. Existing sidewalk crossings can also be modified. You can request a sidewalk crossing change. Property driveways, whether in construction or alteration, require a different finish or attachment than the sidewalk and must be approved by the proper authority. As a rule, the work in the public street space is commissioned by the city. In exceptional cases, you as the applicant may commission the work yourself from an approved specialist company.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Authority for Traffic and Mobility Turnaround
Alter Steinweg 4 20459 Hamburg

Facility info

Prior registration is required to drive onto the authority premises and to park on the BWI/BVM premises. Parking management:

Public transport

S1/S3 Stadthausbrücke, U3/Buses 3/X35/X80 Rödingsmarkt

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit