Online-Service available

Social Agency

Application for a professional permit as a veterinary medical technical assistant from third countries

Would you like to work as a veterinary medical technical assistant in Germany? Then you need a state permit. You can have your foreign professional qualification recognised.

Important notes


  • You have successfully completed training as a veterinary medical technical assistant outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and are entitled to work there independently as a veterinary medical technical assistant to work.
  • You want to work in Germany as a veterinary medical technical assistant.
  • Personal Suitability: You are reliable to work as a veterinary medical technician and have no criminal record.
  • Medical suitability: You can work mentally and physically as a veterinary medical technician or veterinary technician.
  • You have German language skills at the required language level. This is usually language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Documents required

  • Application (available online)
  • Documents according to leaflet (available online)
  • Proof of language proficiency B2/ technical language test (see leaflet)
  • Medical certificate (available online)
  • Official certificate of good conduct according to § 30 Para. 5 BZRG



Procedure & Fees


You compile your documents using the leaflet that you can find on our website or that you have received from us. Submit the documents together with the application in the required form.

equivalence test
The competent authority will then check whether you meet all the requirements. An important prerequisite is the equivalence of your professional qualification. The competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a veterinary medical technical assistant. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the test
If there is equivalence, submit proof of your health, language and personal suitability (instruction sheet).

If there is no equivalence, you will complete an adjustment measure in the form of a knowledge test or an adjustment course. You will receive further information from us on this.

Processing time

  • up to 2 months in the accelerated procedure

  • up to 4 months in the regular procedure


at least EUR 225, depending on the effort up to EUR 600 plus EUR 42 for the certificate

Legal notes

Legal remedies

An objection to a negative decision can be raised within one month of notification at the office specified in the letterhead.

Legal basis

§ 1 Paragraph 1 Act on Professions in Medical Technology

Downloads & Links

Service description

In order to be allowed to work as a veterinary medical technical assistant in Germany, you need a professional permit. For this purpose, the equivalence of your foreign training with the German training will be checked. If there is equivalence, you can get a work permit if the requirements are met. If there is no equivalence, you must first complete an adjustment measure (knowledge test/adjustment course) before you can receive a work permit.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Social Agency
Health Law and Health Professions
Billstraße 80 20539 Hamburg

Facility info

Public transport

S2 / S21 Rothenburgsort, buses 120/122/124/130/160/224/530 Rothenburgsort

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit