Online-Service available
Appointment required

Harburg Einwohnerangelegenheiten

Change of residence within Hamburg

If you move within Hamburg, you must register. It is not necessary to deregister from the previous address.

You can use this service at any Hamburg Service Residents' Affairs location, regardless of where you live in Hamburg.

Important notes


  • Moving within Hamburg.
  • The new apartment was moved into.
  • Registration only by personal appearance or an authorized person of legal age.

Documents required

  • When moving into a rental property:
    • Confirmation from the landlord - mandatory! - filled and signed
  • When moving into residential property:
    • notarial purchase contract or extract from the land register
  • Documents of all moving persons:
    - Identity card (passport if no identity card is available)
    - Children (up to their 18th birthday): ID card and/or passport if available, otherwise birth certificate; Personal presence is not required.
  • Unmarried and shared apartments:
    - Presentation of the IDs of all persons as well as additional written authorizations of the persons who are not present
  • If you own a vehicle:
    • The registration certificate part 1 (formerly the vehicle registration document) for the change of address. Danger! However, this is only possible for private vehicles if the registration certificate was issued in Hamburg. If you change your name or if it is an (old) one-part vehicle registration document, as well as in all other cases, the Landesbetrieb Verkehr is responsible (see link).
  • Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT)
    - the residence permit

Please note

  • A re-registration of minors (up to the age of 16) without both legal guardians must always be clarified in advance by telephone with the resident customer center.
    If a minor resident who has previously lived with both parents in a main residence is transferred to a new main residence by one of the parents, the consent of the other parent, a written agreement between the parents on the child's center of life or a family court decision on the transfer of the the sole right of residence determination must be presented. The same applies if the minor resident's sole or main residence is to be re-registered from the home of one parent to the home of the other parent.
  • From the age of 16 you can register without the consent of the guardian.
  • Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT) must also have the address on the residence permit changed.
  • If you own a car, the address on the registration certificate Part I (formerly a vehicle registration document) must also be changed (see -Documents-).
  • A dog must be re-registered at the consumer protection office.
  • When moving within the house, a change of registration is also required.

ATTENTION: Since the Federal Registration Act of November 1, 2015, the submission of a confirmation of the accommodation provider has been mandatory.


Legal reporting deadline: within two weeks after moving in.

Procedure & Fees


There is currently an obligation to make an appointment for a visit to the customer center. For this service you can choose between all customer centers, regardless of where you live.

Processing time

approx. 12 minutes


EUR 12 per adult or person under the age of 18 who auditions alone. EUR 12 per family (parents including minor children with the same relocation dates). 12 EUR a married couple (without children with the same relocation dates). Change of vehicle registration certificate 11.40 EUR.

Payment methods available

  • Girocard
  • Cash payment

Payment information

automatic pay station

Legal notes

Legal basis

Service description

If you move within Hamburg, you have to change your registration. It is not necessary to deregister the previous address.

Enlarge map

Address and contact information


Harburg Einwohnerangelegenheiten
Harburger Rathausforum 3 21073 Hamburg

Room: Großraumbüro

Facility info

Mensch in einem Rollstuhl Accessible

Der Haupteingang zum Harburger Rathausforum 3 befindet sich auf der Rückseite des Gebäudes und ist über den Innenhof des Gebäudekomplexes erreichbar. Um zum Innenhof zu gelangen, nutzen Sie den Zugang an der Knoopstraße. Der Hausbriefkasten befindet sich am Harburger Rathausplatz 1 (Rathaus). Es stehen keine Kundenparkplätze zur Verfügung. If you would like to apply for an identity card, passport or children's passport, you can use an existing self-recording terminal (Speed Capture Terminal) to capture the necessary biometric data (digital photo, signature, fingerprints).
Please allow a few minutes more time before your appointment to collect your data.
Note: You will not receive a printout of the digital photo.
There is no need to bring a passport photo with you when using the self-registration terminal.
Use costs 6 euros.
Please speak to the clerk afterwards.

The existing self-recording terminal (Speed Capture Terminal) cannot be used for fishing licenses and driver's license applications. Please bring a passport photo (biometric) with you for these services.

Public transport

S3 / S31 / Busse Harburg Town Hall

Public Service Disclaimer

Please note: This service on uses machine translations powered by Google. Some content may not be translated accurately or reliably. The translations are constantly being improved. If you have any issues with Google Translate, please visit