Container Koenig DOM History
Hamburg DOM History
It's hard to believe when you're surrounded by all the bright lights and loud sounds, but the history of Hamburg DOM goes back to the 11th century. In wintertime, the old Mariendom cathedral was used as a shelter by merchants, quacks and entertainers. This tradition lasted for centuries, until the cathedral was demolished in 1804. The now 'homeless' merchants roamed through the city until 1893, when they were appointed a new location: the Heiligengeistfeld event area in the St. Pauli district. Nowadays, the name of Hamburg's most famous fun fair is the only reminder of the old days in the cathedral.
In the 1930s, the original wintertime market was expanded with a spring market in an effort to help local merchants through the economic crisis. After the end of World War 2, a summer market was added as well. With its three recurring festivals in Winter, Spring and Summer, Hamburg DOM is today the largest fair in Northern Germany, and the longest running fair in the whole of Germany.