Northern Germany’s largest fair finally made its triumphant return in summer 2021 after an absence of a year and half due to the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. But thanks to an extensive hygiene plan, the fun continued once more.
Book a DOM ticket
In order to visit the 2021 Summer DOM, it was necessary to book a free online ticket in advance. DOM’s opening hours remained the same as always, but rather than coming and going as they pleased during this time, visitors had to book a specific time slot in advance.
A total of 9,500 people were able to visit the Hamburg DOM at the same time. Everyone provided complete contact details as part of their pre-booking - this included children of all ages. A personalised ticket with a QR code was available for download for each visitor. The ticket could be printed out or saved on a mobile device. To ensure contact tracing, the QR code on the ticket was scanned when visitors entered and exited the DOM grounds.
The free DOM tickets could already be booked prior to the opening of Summer DOM 2021. Tickets for up to five people could be booked at once. That means visitors could book for themselves and four additional people. Children of all ages were also required to book tickets in advance.
The entirety of the DOM fairgrounds were fenced in to ensure seamless entry control. Entrances and exits (U-Bahn Feldstraße, U-Bahn St. Pauli, U-Bahn Messehallen) were all open and available for convenient exit; however, ticket holders were assigned a specific entrance when their ticket and time slot were booked. Additional staff at entrances and exits and within the DOM fairgrounds ensured that everything ran smoothly and that the protective measures of the hygiene plan were observed.
Importantly, a one-way flow of foot traffic was maintained within the DOM. A guidance system and loudspeaker announcements pointed this out. There were no fireworks at Summer DOM 2021 to ensure that there were no ‘traffic jams’.
Additionally, the consumption of alcohol was permitted only when visitors were seated at one of the restaurants found within the DOM. No alcohol could be consumed ‘to go’.
In addition to booking a free ticket ahead of time, the following applied to a visit to the Summer DOM 2021:
- Please stay at home if you feel sick
- All visitors must:
- officially test negative with either rapid test (results from within the last 24 hours) or PCR test (results from within the last 48 hours) - this includes young adults over the age of 16; school students must bring a valid student card (Schülerausweis); self-tests are not accepted
- or be vaccinated (you must be able to provide a complete vaccination certificate that dates back at least 14 days)
- or have recovered (the official positive PCR test result must date back at least 28 days and must not be older than 6 months; self-tests are not accepted)
- Wearing a surgical or FFP2 mask within the DOM fairgrounds is mandatory for everyone 14 years and up; children ages 7-13 may wear everyday cloth masks and children 6 and under don't need masks
- The physical distancing requirement of 1.5 metres between people must be maintained
- When sneezing or coughing, use the crook of your arm - do not sneeze or cough into your hand or the air
- Regular hand washing: there are additional hand basins available in the sanitary facilities
- Disinfect hands: there are disinfection stations in all shops
- Re-registration is required in restaurants and arcades with the QR code on your DOM ticket
Click here more details about Summer DOM 2021's hygiene policy.
Due to the establishment of waiting areas with disinfection stations in front of each shop, Summer DOM 2021 had a reduced number of 200 businesses instead of the usual 240.
Check back regularly for more information on the upcoming Winter DOM 2021. The hygiene plan for the Hamburg DOM may be adapted or updated depending on the infection rate in coordination with the responsible authorities.
Monday - Thursday: 3 p.m. - 11 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 3 p.m. - 12:30 a.m.
Sunday: 2 p.m. - 11 p.m.